Connecting to Synchrony Bank Site 19 days now.

ptosistheseus
Contributor
Contributor

How can Paypal say everything is up and operational when it's been 19 days so far with no end in sight that have been unable to use button that says "Make a payment" under the "PayPal Smart Connect" wrote to paypal email before but paypal never answered about the error message when 'Connecting to Synchrony Bank Site' states "We're Sorry.  We apologize our system is having technical difficulty retrieving your information. Please try again later."

What is going on? 

Whether to disclose cyber security flaws or keep them secret, in an effort to bring more transparent is a process that has long been cloaked in mystery.

Weighing  the costs of keeping a flaw secret, Paypal needs to warn customers  so that they can patch holes before criminals and other hackers take advantage of them.  Paypal/Synchrony Bank is being seen as overly secretive and too often erring against disclosure. 90 percent of flaws are ultimately disclosed. Synchrony Bank though are not sharing quickly enough and appears that  the most severe flaws are being stockpiled.

copy of chat (names removed) at Synchrony Bank a few days ago:

7:54:23 AM : Customer*: Initial Question/Comment: why you lie to your customers?

7:54:29 AM : SystemSystem: Welcome to PayPal Credit Card Live Chat. Your chat will be monitored and recorded for quality purposes. A chat agent will be with you momentarily

7:55:49 AM : SystemSystem: * has joined this session!

7:55:49 AM : SystemSystem: Connected with *. Your Reference Number for this chat is ********2.

7:55:59 AM : Agent*: Hi, *. Thank you for contacting us today.

7:56:05 AM : Customer*: adgadfgsdfgdsfg

7:56:44 AM : Agent*: Good morning!
I apologize for the confusion, *.
In order to assist you better.
Please elaborate the concern.

7:56:57 AM : Customer*: hold on trying to pay online {EDIT: ON ON PHONE)

7:57:24 AM : Customer*: please wait

7:57:35 AM : Agent*: Yes, *.

7:57:54 AM : Customer*: I'm using debitcard instead of routing number

7:58:17 AM : Customer*: vvvvv

7:59:18 AM : Customer*: OK, I just got the confirmation number = ******1. By using my Debit card instead of the routing number and checking acct number.

7:59:55 AM : Customer*: By lying . I called synchrony 2 weeks ago. They lied to me when stated it was a routine maintance issue. It's been 2 weeks.

8:00:37 AM : Customer*: There is no information from Synchrony to their customers as to what the real problem is other that saying that 'They are working on it"

8:00:44 AM : Agent*: *, may I know was it on Nov 7 ?

8:02:17 AM : Customer*: Yes! It has been returned due to wrong number of digits in account number. I gave her leading zeros. That was bad.

8:03:05 AM : Customer*: I wish to have Synchrony bank be honest and say what the real problem is that make it unable to pay online for 2 weeks.

8:03:57 AM : Agent*: *, I am sorry to know about that.

As due to that the late fee was charged on the account.
Please let me check if I can waive the late fee, *.

8:04:00 AM : Customer*: 2 weeks is a very long time for a company's site to be non functional for making payments.

8:04:21 AM : Customer*: Thank you for waiving late payment, since Synchrony bank url is FUBAR

8:05:14 AM : Agent*: I understand, *.
If was you even I would have felt the same.
Even I would not like to be charge a late fee on my account.

8:05:29 AM : Agent*: Please allow me 1-2 minutes?
So that I work on your account.

8:06:05 AM : Customer*: OK. As long as I'm paid up without late charges - I will somewhat less that totally **bleep** off about this situation. Thanks

8:06:45 AM : Agent*: For future reference, in order to avoid being late again, you can call <removed> and make a payment with the automated machine with a routing and checking account number free of cost. You may also enroll in the auto pay online that will come into effect from the next billing cycle.

Thank you for your patience. I'm happy to inform you, that I have waived the late fee for $25, and the new balance is $99.63, which will reflect in 48 hours.

8:06:56 AM : Customer*: I'm typing so that this chat windows does not die on me for the third time today.

8:07:14 AM : Agent*: We have also requested for the necessary adjustments so the account will not be reported negatively, *.

8:07:14 AM : Customer*: .

8:07:30 AM : Customer*: Thanks.

8:07:39 AM : Agent*: You are welcome.

8:07:49 AM : Customer*: .

8:08:03 AM : Customer*: .

8:08:09 AM : Agent*: We have also requested for the necessary adjustments so the account will not be reported negatively, *.

8:08:11 AM : Customer*: .

8:09:10 AM : Customer*: .

8:09:12 AM : Customer*: .

8:09:29 AM : Agent*: I did waived the late fee on the account, *.

8:09:40 AM : Customer*: Thank you. Are we done here?

8:09:49 AM : Agent*: Yes, *.

8:09:54 AM : Agent*: You are welcome.

8:10:14 AM : Customer*: Thanks. I will give you 5 stars

8:10:41 AM : Agent*: You are welcome, *.
We sincerely apologize for the trouble and confusion this concern has caused.

8:11:58 AM : Customer*: But I would like upper management to give me info as to what happened and what they are going to do about it. It is awful when a huge company screws up and then lies about it. As of this time there is no end in sight for this problem. Please give link to Company annoucement as to what the problem is and what they are going to do about it and when it will be fixed.

8:12:55 AM : Customer*: Is synchrony bank going to disclose cyber security flaws or keep them secret?

8:13:39 AM : Agent*: Please do not worry, *.
We keep it secret.

The following Agent is typing: *.

I wish there was a link so that I could give you.

However, you can send the feed back at <removed>

8:14:24 AM : Agent*: Please copy the address right away as it will be crossed out if the chat window closes.

The following Agent is typing: *.
I wish there was a link so that I could give you.

However, you can send the feed back at <removed>

8:14:24 AM : Agent*: Please copy the address right away as it will be crossed out if the chat window closes.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_AshleyM

Hi ptosistheseus,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble paying your Synchrony balance, I understand that can be frustrating. On PayPal's end, we try to send you to their website but their side of things don't load. I apologize for any inconvenience, but you'll need to work with Synchrony Bank to have this resolved. I hope you have a great rest of your day.

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

av1209
New Community Member

Having this problem too. I don't know how this is taking so long to resolve. I've had to call in payment. If you use the automated payment tool on the phone there's no fee. This just seems like something unbelievably simple in 2017, yet here we are. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.