cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you dispute a friends and family payment?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Community Member

Can you dispute a friends and family payment?

If you send a payment thru Friends and Family, can you file a dispute or claim?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PayPal Employee

Re: Can you dispute a friends and family payment?

Hi everyone,

Payments sent through the Friends and Family option are not eligible for Buyer Protection at this time.

If you are paying for an item, goods, or service, we strongly recommend against marking it as Friends and Family.

So, stay safe and don't use this if you're purchasing something - you might be hurting yourself in the long run Smiley Sad

- Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
34 REPLIES
PayPal Employee

Hi everyone,

Payments sent through the Friends and Family option are not eligible for Buyer Protection at this time.

If you are paying for an item, goods, or service, we strongly recommend against marking it as Friends and Family.

So, stay safe and don't use this if you're purchasing something - you might be hurting yourself in the long run Smiley Sad

- Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Volunteer Advisor

And if someone claims an "authorized" transaction - that could be a game changer.

I was scammed from some buyer and they ask me send him money as friends or family and I did do it. Now, I fill a dispute but like you said you cannot guarentee I can get my money back right? Is there anyway I can report Fraud Protection or get my money back? I'm really frustrated now. Please help.

New Community Member

I just got scammed and lost $309 because I didn't know about friends and family.  It would be helpful if Paypal gave some warning before executing the transaction so its clear there is no protection and a possible scam is occurring.

I am so mad I will actively avoid using Paypal.  Its clear there is a known issue here and they are doing nothing to educate or prevent the scam from continuing.

Volunteer Advisor

PayPal lets you know what you are doing when you select the payment method.  It's up to the user to read and understand before using the system.

New Community Member

Even if it's not protected through pay pal you can always file a fraud claim with your bank and they will do a investigation which in most cases if it's legit you will get your money back
New Community Member

exactly!

Contributor

Hello, I just made a transaction too and I just realized I was so stupid for not figuring out the difference of friends and family vs the other method of the protection program....my question is: how did it work out for you in the end?Did you manage to file a dispute and get your money back or no?

Thank you, 

p.s. just worried about losing $500 of hard worked money to a scammer Smiley Surprised Smiley Sad 

Volunteer Advisor

@ldrjmx

You didn't provide any details about what you did or intended to achieve.