Buyer stole my item valued at $875

snowbirder

Paypal refunded the buyer and now will not help me get it back.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@snowbirder

Sorry but with that little info we can't really advise you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

snowbirder

@kernowlass Oct I sold a $875 item to a buyer who paid, I gave them positive feed back, then a month later they filed a return request saying the item was damaged.  I tried to negotiate with the buyer then disputed it thru Ebay and won the dispute.  They escalated the issue to paypal.  again I won the dispute. the buyer escalated it again to their bank and changed the issue saying it was "not as advertised",  I lost, the money was refunded.  Now 5 months later the buyer hasn't returned the item.  when I ask Paypal and ebay they both say there have no jurisdiction over this since it was the outside bank that requested the refund and the buyer is not obligated to return the item!  I have asked 6 time but my emails go unanswered.  The buyer still has my item valued at $875.  He has the item and both paypal and ebay say there is nothing they can do to help me and suggested I file a small claims court.  Where is the SELLER protection in this situation?  

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Login to Me Too

GACTANGELETRAX2
Contributor
Contributor

was the item insured? if so; you can make the claim for the insurance. if it was at least sent first class; then the post office will give you at least $50 of the  insured value even if you did not include insurance, but now this becomes in your favor as you can use the post office fraud and theft claim if the receiver will not return the item. Ebay has a bad habit of siding with the buyers in most cases. the united states postal system can file legal and criminal charges once you  seek the claim and require the receiver to return the item. paypal usually doesn't  refund money until the items are returned, but they are so robotic and lazy sometimes in handling real issues.

Login to Me Too

snowbirder

Great solution I will follow up with UPS since they were the carrier. Not sure if I had insurance but it could be easier to claim mail fraud than to get Ebay or paypal to help me.  No protection for the seller!

Login to Me Too

GACTANGELETRAX2
Contributor
Contributor

UPS ? even better. they usually provide $100 automatic coverage and will return to the home of the receiver to pick up the item ;so let the receiver know to expect that UPS has the legal authority to retrieve the item and will be returning to do that.it might inspire him to return it even sooner, but ask him to take photographs of the alleged "damage" If he tries any tricks, then PayPal and ebay might take another look at the issue especially if the force of UPS get involved.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.