Buyer marked eBay payment as unauthorized 7 days after it was delivered?

iloveeminem98
Contributor
Contributor

I sold someone an xbox. It was delivered on Sept 11. Today they filed a dispute claiming that they payment was unauthorized.

I responded to the case by explaining the situation, adding the tracking number, adding a PDF of the USPS delivery page, the eBay order page (which includes all of the tracking info), and a pdf of a message that the buyer sent me asking about the item.

I'm really worried because I now owe a bunch of money and I literally don't even have that amount of money in my bank account (I'm a college student). 

Will I be good after giving them all of this information? Would it be inappropriate to contact the buyer through eBay and ask them what's happening?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

William9
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
Yes if you have proof that you shipped to the address provided by PayPal and the tracking shows "Delivered" you should be fine, but note that if the transactions was valued 750usd or more then signature is required, otherwise just "Delivered" is ok. You should probably scan shipping documents (receipt etc.) which show your and buyers addresses plus of course tracking, but if all this info can be viewed online by PayPal then maybe that's OK too. See this: https://www.paypal.com/ag/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#9
Login to Me Too

zeuboo
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing happened to me but with  a virtual item.

I recorded the transaction , the person buying the item , giving the username, describing their character, and me sending out the item. They also left me positive feedback for $70 items.

Will I be fine too? 

Login to Me Too

William9
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
No, there is no protection for virtual items, selling them by using PayPal is very risky. Only physical items you ship and have tracking for are protected. Even if you would ship code for game game download for example, buyer could still claim that item is not as described and return it, but not before using it so it is risky.
Login to Me Too

zeuboo
Contributor
Contributor

Even if I have recording and their messages on ebay? 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Randy

Hi zeuboo,

That's a great question.  You can find additional information regarding PayPal's Seller Protection Policy here:  http://bit.ly/2hlygVm

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

iloveeminem98
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

The case is still being reviewed by PayPal and I'm getting a little worried. Is this normal? Anything I can do to speed up the process? 

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.