Buyer Scam: Credit Card/Bank Chargeback

erikg2
New Community Member

Has anyone seen this one before? I sold a pair of high-end headphones May 22, 2017. The buyer paid for the item on May 31, 2017. On March 20, 2018 (almost 10 months later) the buyer files with PayPal saying that he never received the item. PayPal transaction detail shows that the package was shipped on June 1st, 2017. The USPS tracking code only keeps the history for 120 days. PayPal only protects buyers for 180 days, but because this was a bank chargeback they ruled in his favor?!

I absolutely shipped it, so I'm not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions? 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@erikg2

An unauthorised transaction or chargeback made by the buyers credit card company is decided by that card issuer and not Paypal.
However you would not lose out either as long as you met ALL the requirements of seller protection, but if you can't provide trackable proof of delivery then you probably weren't covered anymore.   Smiley Sad

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

erikg2
New Community Member

That could be exploited on almost every transaction via PayPal and then shipped with USPS? This seriously makes me reconsider processing any future sales through PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.