Button choosing...I need help

apersonthing
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

So I have a website and I want to have a Donate button put on there, but I do not want to violate any PayPal TOS since I am not actually a charity or non-profit organization. Using a 'Donate' button would be a lot better for me than 'Buy/Pay Now' buttons. In exchange for member donations I will be giving them some forum privileges, but I personally don't consider that really buying anything since I don't really have to give anything in return for their help (I suppose). Not sure how PPTOS views that though.

So my question is....Do I have to settle for the ugly, demanding 'Buy/Pay Now' button or can I use the Donate option with no issues?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

It's OK to use the Donation item button code or email text link for your needs even though you are not verified nonprofit however, you will be asked to demonstrate how the donations will be used, once you raise more than $10,000.  Make sure you keep good records just in case you do raise more than $10,000.

Using a Buy Now button is also an option, you can swap out the Buy Now graphic for something different or simply use a HTML "submit" button.   You can also use the item_name variable to say "Donation" and even use the option variables to collect additional information.   Using this method, you don't need to worry about the $10,000 threshold.   Note, your donors will get the standard checkout screen for Buy Now item buttons, they won't get the Donation checkout screen or see the Donation headers.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

It's OK to use the Donation item button code or email text link for your needs even though you are not verified nonprofit however, you will be asked to demonstrate how the donations will be used, once you raise more than $10,000.  Make sure you keep good records just in case you do raise more than $10,000.

Using a Buy Now button is also an option, you can swap out the Buy Now graphic for something different or simply use a HTML "submit" button.   You can also use the item_name variable to say "Donation" and even use the option variables to collect additional information.   Using this method, you don't need to worry about the $10,000 threshold.   Note, your donors will get the standard checkout screen for Buy Now item buttons, they won't get the Donation checkout screen or see the Donation headers.

Login to Me Too

apersonthing
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for this!

I'm not exactly sure how to do the variable thing. I am okay-ish with code but I've never worked with PayPal before.

Login to Me Too

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

Here's a good place to start learning. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.