Bank account name different from Paypal account name.

jmav93
Contributor
Contributor

So in 2013 when i opened my paypal account i used my mothers name as it was her name that was in the card i was about to connect.

I havent used my paypal account up to this week when i sold some goods online and received payment via paypal for them. When i tried to withdraw those payments into my bank account i put an account under my name and not my mothers. Now the money are received from my bank but i cannot withdraw them as there is a different name attached to them. 

Anyone knows what i can do?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

jmav93
Contributor
Contributor

Alright, im back from the bank.

I couldnt withdraw the money, because my mothers name was attached to it. They game me an option to add my mothers name in the account thus making it a joint account, which made the funds available to me. Problem solved.

To anyome checking this thread in the future, MAKE SURE YOUR PAYPAL NAME AND THE NAME UNDER YOUR BANK ACCOUNT IS THE SAME.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

PayPal requires that PayPal account owner name must match the financial instruments added to the PayPal account.  You'd need to add your mother's bank account to the PayPal account and consider the account hers and can withdraw it to her bank and you can get the money from her in cash. 

Or you could open a new account under your name and add your own bank account and send that money from your mom's account to your PayPal account and then withdraw it after the usual verification process.

Note that if you open a new account to accept online sales payments, you will be subject to the 21 day hold on new payment until you've built up a selling history on the new account.

To read more about Funds Availabilty:

https://www.paypal.com/selfhelp/topic/FUNDS_AVAILABILITY_HC

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

jmav93
Contributor
Contributor

The money are already in the bank though but i cant withdraw them. Can i send them back to paypal?

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

So the bank told you that you can't withdrawl the money that just arrived into your bank account because the PayPal account name does not match your bank account owner name. Ok, but... If the names don't match, then the money should be returned to PayPal account, not go into your bank account in the first place.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

This dude could be underage when he open a Paypal account,are you 18 now?

if money is already in the bank account,who is the owner of that bank account ,ask that person to withdraw it by either writing a check or using a bank debit card at the ATM machine.

if you still have access to your Paypal account and that bank account is still linked to your Paypal account,you can try transferring the money from bank to Paypal.

My advice is to stop **bleep** around and open your own Paypal account.

Login to Me Too

jmav93
Contributor
Contributor

I wasnt 18 when i first created my paypal account (thats why i used my mothers name and card), but i am now. I have my own credit cards and bank account, so when i tried to withdraw the money from my paypal account (under my mothers name) into my bank account (in my name), the transfer went through from paypal to the bank account but the funds cant be withdrawn as the name isnt the same. Can the money that are in my bank account  but cant be withdrawn return to my paypal so i can send them to an account ill create in my name?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You could try to open your own account, but PayPal may recognize some of the information as belonging to your mother's account and they could get your permanently limited.

I think you will need to find a way to fix the PayPal infomation first, if that is even possible.

You might consider getting your mother invoved at the bank end since the money is from her PayPal account.

Your money may also be permanently in limbo.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@jmav93 wrote:

I wasnt 18 when i first created my paypal account (thats why i used my mothers name and card), but i am now. I have my own credit cards and bank account, so when i tried to withdraw the money from my paypal account (under my mothers name) into my bank account (in my name), the transfer went through from paypal to the bank account but the funds cant be withdrawn as the name isnt the same. Can the money that are in my bank account  but cant be withdrawn return to my paypal so i can send them to an account ill create in my name?

when you said Paypal has transferred the money from PAYPAL to the bank,but it cannot be withdrawn.

Then the money has already left PAYPAL and now in the bank account,if you cannot withdraw it ,then it is not a PAYpal PROBLEM,it is a problem with the bank.

Now you are asking if you can transfer it back to PAYPAL account,we dont have the answer,have you tried it and find out if it works.

Where is your mother?

The right thing to do is to ask your mother to write you a check or go to the bank and withdraw the money and give it to you.

Login to Me Too

jmav93
Contributor
Contributor

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Get the bank to return the money to the PayPal account is the next move. If there is an issue with the withdraw, it takes up to a week for the bank to notify PayPal and then PayPal notifies you if the payment is to be returned to PayPal account.  You might be charged a return fee.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.