Bank Account Linked to Someone Else's Account

Hooper15c
New Community Member

So I noticed about a week and a half ago that I had two echeck payments on my checking account (for a total of $11) and this was the description:

PAYPAL DES:ECHECK ID:LINDAGADBOI INDN:JANLAREE DEJULIUS CO ID:PAYPALEC88 WEB

I don't know Linda nor Janlaree. I just made note of it but let it go. Well last week I had another 2 charges, this time totaling $39 from the exact same account.  What can I do to prevent this in the future? My only thinking is that this is a result of someone linking my checking account to their Paypal accounts. Can someone shed some light on maybe if this has happened to them in the past or give me some tips and steps I can go through in order to rectify this and prevent it from happening in the future.

I reached out to my bank and they refunded me the cost and sent it along to their fraud team but they said there was nothing they could do to ensure it was prevented going forward but told me to reach out to PayPal. After sitting on hold for 15-20 minutes I figured I would try posting here and see if anyone in the community had this happen to them or had answers. Thanks y'all!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_AshleyM

Hi Hooper15c,

I'm sorry to hear about the unrecognized transactions - that's definitely a concern! Based on what you've said, I believe your assumption may be correct: it sounds like your bank was connected to a PayPal account and is being used for purchases. The only way to prevent this would be to contact us so that we can block your account in our system. If someone was able to add your bank on PayPal, it means they have your full routing and account number. I would definitely advise having these replaced at your bank as soon as possible to ensure your information and money are secure. I hope this helps!

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.