Account compromised and unauthorized Transaction

Webline
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, Just yesterday paypal sent me an email regarding a suspicious login to my paypal account and I had to verify my identity. But soon as that was done, not even 24 hours have passed. I just received an email that my account has sent money to another paypal account. 

The resolution center has given it 7 days to get it resolved. Is It possible for it to be solved any faster instead of waiting for the hacker to reply?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

Are you sure that the email from PayPal was "real".

If you clicked on any links in the email, you may have provided your password to a stranger.  Seems coincidental that funds went missing after you received the email.

When in doubt about an email:

* Forward the entire email to:    spoof@paypal.com.
* Do not alter the subject line or forward the message as an attachment.
* Delete the suspicious email from your inbox.
* Never click on any links within the email or open any attachments.

Look at the email address domain and wording in the email, grammar, salutation, spelling, etc.  If any of these are questionable, it's most likely a spoof.

Login to Me Too

Webline
Contributor
Contributor

The email from paypal was real. And I did not click any links. But login In to my paypal My Account was closed and required verification. Which I did, but the transaction was after the verification.

Currently I have reinstalled my OS and changed the passwords for email + paypal

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AshleyM

Hi everyone,

Unauthorized charges can definitely be frustrating, and I'm happy to help in any way I can. Thanks for that information, Snow-Cat! Spoof emails are common and that can definitely be a concern. 

If you've verified that the email you received is legitimate and have found it on your account, you can report the transaction as unauthorized by using the steps listed here. I'm glad to hear you've already changed your password! That should help ensure the account is secure. If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us so that we can assist. Hopefully this information helps!

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.