Account Limitations Assistance

smulhern34
Contributor
Contributor
Hello, I'm an expat living abroad and wanted to sebd money to my bank account in the States so I made an international paypal and domestic one. I chose the 'confirm bank instantly' option for the domestic one and it successfully linked. Sent money to it, had pending transfer to bank, but then it got sent back to the paypal account and I got hit with limitations. I sent the photo of ID and last bank statement about 4 days ago but it still says 'submissions under review'. I am worried because I wasn't given the option to type a foreign address on my domestic paypal, so I typed my parents' address, yet my bank statement shows my foreign address. Just checled my email and a worker from paypal emailed me 3 days ago saying they can't lift the limitation right now, but to either link my bank manually or send those documents to confirm identity. I don't understand about linking the bank manually because it's already linked and I'm unable to unlink it due to account limitations. As for the documents, it says the address on the bank statement must perfectly match the one on my paypal account, yet I am not given that option (can't input international addresses). Can anyone give me some advice? I would like to talk with paypal directly, but don't have a domestic phone number, so I can't link one to my account. I've been searching for a way to communicate with paypal via email but have had no luck. I contacted Paypal Asia (I live in Asia) but they couldn't do anything to help. What steps can I take in my situation, please?
Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Totally confused about your "domestic" and your "foreign" accounts.

You establish a PayPal account in the country where you reside, so the acount would be a domestic account.

When you go to a new country you set up a new domestic account in that country.

Each account must be completed an verified at the time you set it up in the country where you reside at the time.

Trying to create an account for a country in which you don't reside and then trying to give a fake residential address or link a foreign bank creates problems.  Now you attempt to transfer funds between these to non-conforming accounts.  I would expect permanent limitation.

You could phone PayPal support and try to explain what you really did.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

No idea what she is talking about.

so she is an expat living in Asia,do you have a US paypal account before y our left for Asia?

Did you open an Asian Paypal account ?or did you open both US and Asia Paypal account recently?

AMerican expat can link both US and local bank accounts to her local paypal account,no need to open 2 Paypal accounts and move money from local bank to US bank.

it is not the end of the world,if you are in a hurry,do intl wire transfer,Asia is loaded with banks,bank branches are on every block in some Asian countries. 

Login to Me Too

smulhern34
Contributor
Contributor
Hello, I did not realize I can link foreign bank accounts to my Paypal so I made an international Paypal and connected my foreign bank account to it. I then sent money from there to my new American Paypal account (my old American Paypal got locked and it required me to call and confirm my identity with a phone number I no longer had, which I obviously can't do, so I made a new account). I instantly linked my bank account to my new domestic account and attempted to withdraw the money to it, but then got hit with the limitations. Honestly, I wouldn't mind going through with a wire transfer at this point, but right now the issue is that I've got a big chunk of cash sitting in my limited Paypal.
Login to Me Too

smulhern34
Contributor
Contributor
And yes, I'm an American expat living in Asia.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@smulhern34 wrote:
Hello, I did not realize I can link foreign bank accounts to my Paypal so I made an international Paypal and connected my foreign bank account to it. I then sent money from there to my new American Paypal account (my old American Paypal got locked and it required me to call and confirm my identity with a phone number I no longer had, which I obviously can't do, so I made a new account). I instantly linked my bank account to my new domestic account and attempted to withdraw the money to it, but then got hit with the limitations. Honestly, I wouldn't mind going through with a wire transfer at this point, but right now the issue is that I've got a big chunk of cash sitting in my limited Paypal.

it is getting from bad to worse,you open another Paypal account because the one you have is restricted.

Paypal may restrict all your paypal accounts and send you packing after 180 days.

Login to Me Too

smulhern34
Contributor
Contributor
I made the new one because I wasn't able to even access the other one. I hadn't used that one for several years and tried to login, it said it had been locked and required that I call paypal on the old phone number I had linked to that account in order to unlock it. It didn't even give the option of calling on another numbet. I don't have that phone number anymore obviously, so being that there was no other option given, I made a new Paypal account to replace it and linked my bank account. I didn't realize this is something that shouldn't be done, but couldn't think of anything else - I regarded the old account as 'lost'. I then sent money to my new Paypal with the intebtion of withdrawing it to my bank, which is when everything went wrong. Being unable to call Paypal internationally, what can I do about my money just sitting there in my limited account? I don't need it badly, but am afraid of permanently losing it (it's about $1000).
Login to Me Too

smulhern34
Contributor
Contributor
Hello, thanks for your reply. This is a common procedure for expats to use 2 paypal accounts to transfer money to their bank accounts without the hassle of a wire transfer. My address isn't fake, it is a real address that I am able to receive correspondence at. I may not reside there at this moment, but it was the best option for the purpose of my Paypal. I have two problems right now. The first is that I don't have a domestic phone number with which to call Paypal. The second is that there is a sizable chunk of money sitting in my limited Paypal. What do you think I can do in order to resolve this?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.