Accessing PayPal without authorisation.

JulesG78
Contributor
Contributor

HI, I found out today that my 11 year old has bought $120 worth of virtual dollars on a PlayStation game. He is saying that the smaller siblings crashed the PS by incorrectly turning it off, which in turn reset all the passwords so then he had access to it all....I don't believe him but I also did not authorise the four transactions ($30 each) and the little toad (!) has basically stolen this money by accessing my papypal account. I have since changed my passwords to this and anything else so he can't do it again.

I have a few questions, I need to know how to make my account more secure ie a text /code before any pre-approved monies get taken out? 

What are the rules in regards to kids doing this and getting a refund?

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You are the only one who can control access to your devices.  By allowing another party to physically access a device and make changes to the device you have implicitly authorized the use.

In future lock of all computing devices so no one else can access them.

Login to Me Too

JulesG78
Contributor
Contributor

Really? So a person who lives in the family home, access to everything can steal $120 from a paypal account and it's ok because I didn't lock it properly? Ie he hacked/sneakily saw my password?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PayPal cannot protect your devices when you allow access by others in your household.

If necessary place devices in a locked cabinet or safe to protect them from other people.

You do what is necessary when your home is more or less a public space.

Login to Me Too

JulesG78
Contributor
Contributor

Sounds like a cop out... I honestly can't believe they'd allow theft of funds after someone, child or not, accesses an account/withdraws money without permission by putting in a password that they got without permission. I guess I'll find out with the dispute.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You could also file a police report for unauthorized access to your equipment.  You would use that report then to support a PayPal dispute.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.