cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACCOUNT HACKED!

New Community Member

ACCOUNT HACKED!

I started receiving emails on Saturday from PayPal in FRENCH. I never changed the language of my PayPal account. I had to use google translate only to find out that $1,000 from my checking account was being transferred to my PayPal account. I immediately went to sign into my account only to find out that my password was also changed. I finally was able to get back into my account after providing personal information and changing my password. I tried contacting Paypal's customer service over and over again. I reached about 2 people who were of no help to me. I kept getting transferred. I spent over 5 hours on the phone in one day waiting to hear from someone.... waiting to get someone to help me cancel the transaction. NO LUCK! My checking account is currently in the negatives and no one seems to be able to help! I thought PayPal was supposed to be safe.

1 REPLY
Highlighted

Re: ACCOUNT HACKED!

Hey kristen_naomi,

I'm very sorry to hear about the unauthorized activity - that is definitely a concern, but hopefully I can help. In these situations, we always want to make sure you've resecured the account by changing your password; it sounds like you've already done that, which is great news. We also advise letting your bank know about this unauthorized activity, as they may be able to block or pull back the transaction on their end, and should be waiving any NSF fees you may have incurred due to the unauthorized activity. 

As far as PayPal being secure, the only way this could have happened is if someone gained access to your password and email combination. There are three most common ways people's passwords are compromised:

1. They use the same email and password combination on multiple websites and one of these other sites isn't secure. The fraudster gains this information and tries it on multiple websites hoping it will log them in.
  2. The computer or device they are using is compromised either with a virus, malware, or key-logging software (yes, Macs can get viruses!).
  3. They click on a fake link in an email or on a bad website and log into their PayPal, giving their details to whomever sent the email or created the website.

There are of course other ways this information may be gleaned by the wrong individuals, but one of those is typically how this occurs. That being said, if you have any other accounts that use the same email and password, I would advise changing them as soon as possible to ensure your other website accounts are safe.

I hope this helps and that the situation is resolved for you soon. Have a great rest of your day.

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.