5% fee

ericaeff
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

A merchant I'm purchasing from is charging me a 5% Paypal fee up-front. Does this seem correct?

Thanks,

Erica

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Quandary
Advisor
Advisor

Depends on how that's fee is defined  by the seller - if it's clearly stated that it is a "handling fee" - that is permitted however, if the seller's intent is for you to pay his transaction processing fees which is called a "surcharge", that's not permitted as stated in PayPal's User Agreement.   Here's a snippet from the policy:

No surcharges

You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

My guess is the seller is trying to skirt paying any processing fees by passing that cost on to you - I would search for another seller or merchant.  

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

Quandary
Advisor
Advisor

Depends on how that's fee is defined  by the seller - if it's clearly stated that it is a "handling fee" - that is permitted however, if the seller's intent is for you to pay his transaction processing fees which is called a "surcharge", that's not permitted as stated in PayPal's User Agreement.   Here's a snippet from the policy:

No surcharges

You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

My guess is the seller is trying to skirt paying any processing fees by passing that cost on to you - I would search for another seller or merchant.  

Login to Me Too

ericaeff
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! Based on that info I don't think they're allowed to charge me then. Here's a screenshot of the invoice:Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 9.26.12 AM.png

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

So you just decide if you want to buy from this merchant or not.  My suggestion is to find a merchant who does not add a surcharge for PayPal.  Or, just use a credit card for payments and avoid merchants who will not accept credit cards.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.