3 months after the item was confirmed delivered, the buyer opens "Unauthorized Transaction" dispute?

hugoy88
Contributor
Contributor

I've been an eBay seller for about 5 years now and never had any real problems using either eBay or PayPal, in fact, both have been very helpful when something goes wrong. I logged into my PayPal account today and noticed I had a negative balance, which really confused me. I noticed that a dispute over something I had sold over 3 months ago had been opened under the category "Unauthorized Transaction". It had been an item I had sold on eBay, the item was about 100 dollars, nothing was out of the ordinary. The buyer paid with PayPal, and within 3 days or so the tracking information confirmed that it was received and delivered. Now, 3 months later, the buyer has opened this case. I haven't received any messages from the buyer on eBay or PayPal. Somehow, the tracking number is already uploaded into the case (probably because the item was sold through eBay which automatically sends PayPal the tracking number). My question is, what do I do? I followed all the rules, shipped the item out in a timely manner, the items delivery is confirmed, then 3 months after, this comes up! Should I contact PayPal? I can supply any more evidence to help my case. At this point I'm just frustrated, and anxious to see what happens, for I did everything I should have done as a seller.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

I'm sorry this does not help your issue but, Buyers have the upper hand on Sellers - per the User Agreement, a Buyer can open a dispute within 180 days of the date they sent the payment.   Personally, it makes one think twice about being a Seller.  PayPal encourages Sellers to have return polices but, whatever policy the Seller has, the User Agreement has the final say.  Hopefully, who ever reviews your situation has some common sense and the authority to make the right decision in your favor.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@hugoy88

If you had full seller protection for the transaction then you should be protected for unauthorised transactions.

But it may be worth giving paypal a call to double check that you were.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.