218 dollars sent to the wrong person

ja10
Contributor
Contributor
Yesterday I sent a payment of abput 218 dollars to someone to buy something. I sent the payment using a phone number at the time I didn't know that the account connected to that phone number was that person's account but they don't have access to the account anymore. I've tried many options I contacted my credit union and was told to call PayPal so I called PayPal and was told there was nothing they could do because it was completed or accepted one of the two. So I tried to file a dispute but an error message pops up and I don't know what to do. I don't want a refund I just want the money to go to the right person.
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Quandary
Advisor
Advisor

If the payment you sent has already completed, you won’t be able to cancel it.  In this case, you can ask the recipient to issue a refund to you.

You can only cancel a payment if its status is “Pending” or "Unclaimed" and there’s a Cancel button beside it. This means the recipient hasn’t received or accepted your payment yet.

Here's how to cancel a pending/unclaimed payment:
1. Go to Activity.
2. Click on the transaction you'd like to cancel.
3. Click Cancel.
4. Click Cancel Payment.

If there's no "Cancel" button beside your payment, you’ll need to contact the recipient to see if the recipient is willing to reject the payment. If a payment remains unclaimed for 30 days, it'll be refunded to you automatically.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

or file item not received if you sent as goods and services.

or send him a money request

or file chargeback with your cc issuer for not receiving the item or unauthorised transaction.

Login to Me Too

ja10
Contributor
Contributor
The person doesn't have access to that account and the transaction says it complete not only that but when I tried to file a dispute it keeps coming up as a transaction error. The money was sent through the friends and family option
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.