friends and family scam

pavgou12
Contributor
Contributor
Okay. So iv been looking for answers and know one can answer it so please just give a straight forward answe.Mr. I found a guy on instagram selling something i wanted. He sated send the money family and friends so he could save money . yes I know it was wrong ....... I sent the money and he disappeared . it's been 20 days no word or item . I contacted PayPal and I guess they froze the money in his account and are disputing it or something ..... My question is .... If he doesn't answer or get back to them will they give me back my money Or will they unfreaze the money in his PayPal and I don't get my money back . I know it was stupid but I'm tiers of waiting for answers. It was a lot of money a d I'm upset . so like unsaid . . my question is. If he doesn't answer to the dispute or whatever will PayPal unfreaze the money in his account a d give it back to him or will they give it back to me and is there nothing I can do since it was family and friends ... Thanks
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If PayPal indicated 10 days, then it's likely 10 days.   If you have a case ID you could follow up with PayPal; the 10 days may also mean 10 business days (2 weeks).

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pavgou12

Hi, “gift” or “personal” payments are intended as transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.

On the other hand, as it is a “personal” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

Its unlikely you will get the money back but i can't predict paypals decision.

Scam sellers often ask for payment that way as they know this.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

pavgou12
Contributor
Contributor
So how long does PayPal wait for a reasponce before they make a decision. I mean I think its wierd that they hold the money in his account but if he doesn't answer they'll unfreaze it and that's it ? Its rediculouse. How long does it take for them to make a decision after the complaint is filed
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Did you get a response at all from PayPal when you submitted a claim.  Why do you think the money is frozen in his account?  Did PayPal tell you it was frozen?

It seems more likely the money is his to use as you sent it as a "gift" through friends/family and not for a purchase.  There would be no claim from the part of the buyer.

Login to Me Too

pavgou12
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal told me they were opening a dispute or claim whatever it is and the guy said that they'll freeze the money in his account but if they don't hear back within like 10 days that they'll unfreeze the money and give it back to him and I get **bleep** . but I don't understand. How can they freeze the money in his account if they can't get it back . it doesn't make sence. If they took the money out of his account then why do they need to hear back from him
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

The funds are apparently held in his account until an investigation is complete.  It is unlikely the money receiver will need to provide any defense as that person just received gift money from the "buyer".  When PayPal completes the investigation and finds the "buyer" willing bypassed PayPal protection by sending money as a gift it is likely the funds will be released to the the person to whom it was send.

Login to Me Too

pavgou12
Contributor
Contributor
Your the first person to give me an answer so thank you for that..... But I guess that's what's going to happen . I'll let you know when I find out what PayPal does . I hope your wrong but thanks for the answers. How long does a claim go for before they can end it with a conclusion . it's like 10 days or something right ?
Login to Me Too
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If PayPal indicated 10 days, then it's likely 10 days.   If you have a case ID you could follow up with PayPal; the 10 days may also mean 10 business days (2 weeks).

Login to Me Too

pavgou12
Contributor
Contributor
Ok thank you
Login to Me Too

Twelvelber
Contributor
Contributor

Beware of PayPal. They will protect people who rip people off people and there out is paying with friends and family. I was ripped off of 800.00 using PayPal friends as instructed by the seller and never received my tickets. Through. Numerous attempts begging PayPal  to help all I kept getting was you checked friends and family. They didn't care about the chasing down the scammer in the PayPal  community to avoid having it happen to someone else. PayPal is just like the thieves the have in there community.

BEWARE OF PAYPAL 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.