Why does it tak over 20 days for a echeck to stop pending?

csonweb
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

If it really was an e-check then that must have cleared within 2 or 3 days, but then you've also been hit with an eBay / PayPal funding hold which is completely separate from an e-check clearing.

This can happen randomly and it's something that eBay/PayPal does to help ensure the buyer receives their product and are happy with it before releasing the funds.

You can thank all of the sellers in the past who would spend the money before the buyer ever had their merchandise only to find out the buyer was unhappy (for legitimate reasons) and wanted a refund.  Since the seller already spent the money, though, they can't refund, then it gets disputed, and then it becomes a huge mess.  Unfortunately, they ruined it for all of us and eBay/PayPal had to put these random holds in place to help put a stop to that sort of problem.

There are lots of variables involved for when a payment may or may not get flagged for holding.  When it happens, though, all you can do is wait.  That said, it typically gets released more quickly if the tracking number shows it's been delivered and the buyer has left a positive feedback on eBay.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

It doesn't.  If you want to provide more detail about what you're seeing I could try to help more.  My guess is that what you're seeing is actually a funding hold that eBay or PayPal placed on your payment as opposed to an e-check.

Login to Me Too

csonweb

I was paid by echeck on the 4th on ebay and it took around a week for ebay/paypal to say it was safe to ship. I shipped the item and it was delivered and waited a week and checked my paypal account and it says I cannot use the money until the 30th

Login to Me Too
Solved

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

If it really was an e-check then that must have cleared within 2 or 3 days, but then you've also been hit with an eBay / PayPal funding hold which is completely separate from an e-check clearing.

This can happen randomly and it's something that eBay/PayPal does to help ensure the buyer receives their product and are happy with it before releasing the funds.

You can thank all of the sellers in the past who would spend the money before the buyer ever had their merchandise only to find out the buyer was unhappy (for legitimate reasons) and wanted a refund.  Since the seller already spent the money, though, they can't refund, then it gets disputed, and then it becomes a huge mess.  Unfortunately, they ruined it for all of us and eBay/PayPal had to put these random holds in place to help put a stop to that sort of problem.

There are lots of variables involved for when a payment may or may not get flagged for holding.  When it happens, though, all you can do is wait.  That said, it typically gets released more quickly if the tracking number shows it's been delivered and the buyer has left a positive feedback on eBay.

Login to Me Too

csonweb

Well it has shown delivered and pos feedback so I guess i'll just have to wait, thanks

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.