What happens if the backup funding sources are also insufficient?

mike1986

I've just made a purchase and accidently chose to let Paypal withdraw funds from my bank account while there is no balance. However the payment is still completed. If my bank rejects the Paypal transfer request a few days from now, since I cannot have negative balance, Paypal will use the backup funding source which is my credit card. What happens if there's no balance on it either since I have a low limit? Will Paypal use my Paypal funds? And what happens if these are insufficient either?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

TsufakTuna
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi mike1986,

PayPal will always try to draw funds from your PayPal account first unless there is no balance in your account, then it will queue to your bank account which will attempt twice to withdraw funds. You may get a Non-Sufficient Funds fee from your bank for each attempt. After the two attemps, PayPal will then switch to your credit cards or any other back up funding source.

PayPal credits the seller on behalf of the buyer, after doing so PayPal attempts to claim funds from the buyer.

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.