What are the limits on sending money to Friends and Family?
I've had reasons to send money to my daughters and my brother recently and I don't understand a few things about the process and what happens when I try to send large (4 figures) amounts.
I believe I read somewhere on the forum that there's a $10K per-transaction limit for sending to Friends and Family? Is this true? What about weekly or monthly limits?
I found that after successfully sending a 4-figure amount (less that $5K) , if I try again the next day (again, less than $5K) I find that I cannot send the money from my bank account but only by using my credit card - which causes the 3% fee to kick in. Why? What dollar numbers cause that sort of result? I don't see anything anywhere on the site that answers this, and my one call to Customer Service made a minor suggestion that didn't help.
If I know the limits and more of the rules I'll be able to predict when I will and won't be able to send money.
Thanks in advance,
Probably does not answer all your questions, if your account is not verfied, PayPal does strange things.
From the FAQs:
If your account is Verified, there’s no limit on the total amount of money you can send from your account. You can send up to $10,000 in a single transaction. (This amount can vary, though, depending on your currency.)
If your account is Unverified, there’s a limit on the total amount of money you can send from your account.
Here's how to view your sending limit:
- Log in to your PayPal account.
- Click My Account near the top of the page.
- Click View Limits to see your sending limit.
According to "My Account", my Status is "Verified" and when I go to "View Limits" is simply tells me that "Your limit has been lifted" - under both "Sending" and "Withdrawal". No actual dollar amounts appear there.
After successfully sending $4250 to my daughter on Monday (as a "Living Expense"), if I try today it tells me that only eCheck and CreditCard methods are available - "Instant Transfer" is grayed out - and the Credit Card option wants to charge me $123.55.
Why can't I use the "Instant Transfer" from my checking account? It worked Monday.
Haven't Found your Answer?
It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.
- Someone sent me $20 through friends and family, now they are charging back. in About Payments (Archive)
- Waiting for pending deposit from family who used pp credit card to send me $$$$$$ in About Payments (Archive)
- What Is The Most I Am Allowed To Receive As A Gift / Donation? in About Payments (Archive)
- paypal refusing to help in About Payments (Archive)
- Sending Large Payments to Family or Friend in About Payments (Archive)