Vacation Rentals - Damage Deposit

BeachwalkGuest
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all. We are opening a guesthouse and will be taking 50% payment (including a refundable damage deposit) at booking and 50% before the check-in date.

After check-out we will refund the damage deposit to the great guests who left everything in acceptable condition. 

Can someone please tell me how this will work on Paypal?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I believe you have 60 days to issue a refund through PayPal after the payment is made.

I think there are a lot more details to consider, however, and suggest you review all of the PayPal polciies for seller protection to make sure you are covered.  You may not be covered for buyer protection and could loose all in case of a displute.

PayPal allows 6 months for the buyer to make a claim, so you should consider that also.

For a deposit you should have a detailed agreement which the buyer accepts.  You could check out some standard rental agreements you could find online.

For your protection, paymetn by check might be a better option, along with the contract.  You would simply write a check to refund the deposit.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I believe you have 60 days to issue a refund through PayPal after the payment is made.

I think there are a lot more details to consider, however, and suggest you review all of the PayPal polciies for seller protection to make sure you are covered.  You may not be covered for buyer protection and could loose all in case of a displute.

PayPal allows 6 months for the buyer to make a claim, so you should consider that also.

For a deposit you should have a detailed agreement which the buyer accepts.  You could check out some standard rental agreements you could find online.

For your protection, paymetn by check might be a better option, along with the contract.  You would simply write a check to refund the deposit.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.