Using Paypal Balance & Credit Card for Single Purchase

ACPP
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have a balance in my PP account, but the item I want to buy is a couple bucks more. I'm in Canada and to add additional funds via my bank account will takes almost 10 days. However, I do have a credit card with a very small balance added to my PP account, so if I go through with a purchase will the funds from my PP balance be used first, and then the remainder be taken from my credit card? Or will it use the PP balance and then try to deduct more money from my bank account before using the credit card balance?

Do I get the option to choose what order and from where funds are deducted from? I'd like to go PP balance, then credit card, and not withdraw any additional funds from my bank if that's possible.

Thanks

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Here's how payments are setup"

PayPal will first look at your PayPal Account balance, if you have insufficient funds, PayPal will then take the funds from your Bank Account. If you have a credit card and no bank account, then the credit card will be used. This all happens assuming you don't elect to choose a funding source. Note, If you have both a bank account and credit card, you can choose to pay with your credit card on the PayPal Checkout screens by using the pay with another source option. There you can select your card from the dropdown.

It is possible to pay using the funds in your Account balance and the remainder with a credit card however, you must first elect to pay with your credit card. Your available balance will be used up and the remainder is charged to your card. As this now looks like you've sent a single payment, you remain eligible for Buyer Protection. You would not be eligible for Buyer Protection, if you paid for the item with two separate transactions.

What you cannot do is split a single payment between 2 bank accounts, 2 credit/debit card accounts or a bank account and a credit/debit card account. In addition, you cannot split a single payment between 2 PayPal accounts.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Here's how payments are setup"

PayPal will first look at your PayPal Account balance, if you have insufficient funds, PayPal will then take the funds from your Bank Account. If you have a credit card and no bank account, then the credit card will be used. This all happens assuming you don't elect to choose a funding source. Note, If you have both a bank account and credit card, you can choose to pay with your credit card on the PayPal Checkout screens by using the pay with another source option. There you can select your card from the dropdown.

It is possible to pay using the funds in your Account balance and the remainder with a credit card however, you must first elect to pay with your credit card. Your available balance will be used up and the remainder is charged to your card. As this now looks like you've sent a single payment, you remain eligible for Buyer Protection. You would not be eligible for Buyer Protection, if you paid for the item with two separate transactions.

What you cannot do is split a single payment between 2 bank accounts, 2 credit/debit card accounts or a bank account and a credit/debit card account. In addition, you cannot split a single payment between 2 PayPal accounts.

Login to Me Too

ACPP
Contributor
Contributor

So to use my PP balance first and then credit card for the remainder, I have to select that I want to use credit card at the beginning of the transaction? Is that correct? Then the existing PP funds will be used followed by the credit card balance?

Just to be clear, I do not want to have to withdraw any additional funds from my bank for this transaction.

Thank you

Login to Me Too

ACPP
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.