Someone sent me $20 through friends and family, now they are charging back.

carson1st
Contributor
Contributor

What are my options here? Will he win it? Should I call paypal and talk about it?

Followup, it says I need to put in tracking number? He didnt send me it for a product, so how am I suppose to give tracking info.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

In regards to personal/ friends and family payments:

If it is credit card chargeback, you maybe out of gas on that one because the credit card issuer rules on those, not PayPal and their protection terms are much broader than PayPal's.

If PayPal Dispute, PayPal will not rule in favor of the sender since personal payments are not eligible for purchase protection but sender can still open a dispute to let you and them settle the matter.

Does it let you escalate the dispute (not chargeback)? Then PayPal can close case as payment not eligible for purchase protection.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

can you escalate a chargeback to get Paypal involved?

Paypal is already involved,it is really a chargeback against Paypal,as far as the cc issuer is concerne,it is Paypal which is the recipient of the $20.

We are just subaccounts within Paypal merchant account,these cc issuers do not know us from Jack.

Login to Me Too

carson1st
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for the response.

It looks like my only options are to "resolve claim now"(and I have 7 days to take action). From there, I have another 3 options: Provide Shipping info,  have not shipped the item and I will refund the payment., I have refunded the payment for this transaction.

So, should I just wait the 7 days out? Or refund him, for the money HE sent me Smiley Indifferent

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You should call Paypal or email them on FACEBOOK or Twitter,how does one provide shipping when there is no shipping involved?  

Login to Me Too

carson1st
Contributor
Contributor

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

do you know the person who sent you the $20,why not call and ask why the chargeback,is he an Indian gift giver? 

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@carson1st wrote:

What are my options here? Will he win it? Should I call paypal and talk about it?

Followup, it says I need to put in tracking number? He didnt send me it for a product, so how am I suppose to give tracking info.

yes,call Paypal .tell them this is not a purchase,there is no shipping and tracking

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.