Sent money to wrong person.

KevinZg
Contributor
Contributor

I'm New to the forum so yea. 

A few mintues ago i just sent money to the wrong person because they had similiar names to the person i was gonna send to.

I'm not sure what to do but i disputed as a unauthorized transaction would this be correct<?

In the notes i mentioned that i sent it to the wrong person and i would like a refund so the dispute can be closed

Should call paypal or email them?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

PayPal_Olivia

Hi KevinZg,

Welcome to the forums! 🙂

I'm sorry to hear of your frustrating situation. 😞 Since the payment was actually made by you and not by a fraudster, the unauthorized claim will be closed upon investigation. There are still options, however.

Try sending a message directly to the email that you mistakenly paid, and let them know of the error and request a refund. Most people are honest and will happily help correct the error. If there's no reply or the person is uncooperative, you can file a Non-receipt dispute, as long as it was a payment for goods and not a personal transfer.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

KevinZg
Contributor
Contributor

Well you see i emailed the person i sent to and no replies.

I sent the money as Gift And i put in the message  Thanks Broo Birthday (:

Because i was sending it to my friend because it was his birthday. And i was thanking him cuz he gave money on my birthday

I disputed it , it hasent been closed yet, its asking for the other person to provide more information

What should i do Olivia

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi KevinZg,

Sometimes people use a separate email for their PayPal account. The problem with that is that if they're not actively expecting any correspondence, they sometimes miss it because they aren't checking that email frequently. Most of the time when people don't reply, it's not because of a malicious decision to ignore you or an intent to keep the money, but instead because they just haven't seen the messages yet. That means they probably also haven't seen the alerts we send that there is a case requiring their action.

At this point, because the transactions was actually not unauthorized, the case will eventually be closed when it gets to the review stage. Your best course of action is to wait out the full period of time before that, to give the seller more time to see the case and refund it.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

KevinZg
Contributor
Contributor

Do i have a chance for paypal to refund me the payment if the person i sent the money to does not respond?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi KevinZg,

Regrettably, no. 😞 If the recipient does not actively respond with an authorization to refund the payment, the case will go to review. When the review occurs and it is determined that it is not an unauthorized transaction, the original payment will be resumed and the recipient will get the money.

Olivia

Login to Me Too

KevinZg
Contributor
Contributor

If i call in to paypal and talk to them will that do anything? or is the any other solution besides waiting for this person to refund me, because im pretty sure there not gonna..

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi KevinZg,

A phone call to PayPal would allow for clarification of the specific transaction, but it likely would not change the circumstances in the situation you've described. However, since we're dealing with generalities in the forum, there's always the possibility that a representative might see something we haven't thought of. You're definitely welcome to call or email. If you use Twitter, you can also check out @AskPayPal.

It's been some time since your last post. Have there been any developments? We'd love to know the outcome if there's been a resolution of any kind.

Olivia

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.