Sending money to cover post

Rich3
Contributor
Contributor

I bought an item, which was listed as free collection in person but also said in its listing that the seller was happy to post the item at buyer's expense. Having won the item I asked the seller to find out the cost and planned to send the money as a "gift" as I thought it would be covered by Paypal Buyer Protection and therefore would be refundable, along with the purchase price, should my item not turn up. Firstly, is this the case?

When attempting to send the money however I was asked if the money was for goods/services or friends/family. I chose goods/services and was informed that there would be a fee for the seller to pay. I do not remember incurring any fees for sending money through Paypal before. Could you explain please?

Postage has been quoted as £16.40 by the seller. Thanks

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Rich3

Firstly you DO NOT have buyer protection if you use family / friends. As your SELLER is not a family member or a friend and you are trading with her you need to use goods / services for buyer protection.

Secondly sellers ALWAYS pay a fee per transaction, paypal is not a charity so how else would they make a profit ??

You are a BUYER not a seller so its not you that incurs the fee.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Rich3
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I know they're not a charity.

I wondered as they make a profit on sales perhaps they just offered the money sending for completeness of service.

Thanks for your reply.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Rich3

What sales??

Paypal is a money transfer service and that is all they do.

What sales are you meaning?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Rich3
Contributor
Contributor

My goodness, Ebay sales. Paypal is part of Ebay is it not? I'm sure you'll let me know if I'm mistaken.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Rich3

No ebay and paypal are 2 completely separate companies.

They used to be linked but even then they each worked separately.

Ebay (and other companies) get paid to advertise and sell items.

Paypal are paid to process online payments for you.

So paypal ONLY get their money by charging a seller a fee per transaction.

That fee includes being able to receive card funded payments.

BUT you as a buyer NEVER pay a fee unless you are sending a gift to a family or mate and "choose" to select to pay the fee, even then there is only a fee if you fund it via a card, if you fund it from your bank account its FREE.

BUT sellers pay fees to receive payments from their buyers.

I tend to work out an approx of what i will get for my item, deduct off ebay and paypal fees and then see if its worth listing !!!

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Rich3
Contributor
Contributor

Ah thanks - that may be why I felt the postage he'd quoted to be a bit higher than was probably nescessary. I'll fret no more over his additional fees 🙂

Very helpful reply thank you.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Rich3

Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.