Secondary payment method isn't working and charged my bank account for an overdraft?!

Lucaskane123
Contributor
Contributor

!

I bought an item on eBay for $19.99 and I didn't have money in my bank account or my PayPal.. Well my bank account charged me an overdraft of $30.00 because I had insufficient funds.. Wasn't my secondary payment method suppose to be there incase this happens? They should of charged my visa card and gotten the funds that way.. But instead they charged my bank account and there was no money in there and that's when I was hit with the overdraft..

Same thing happened again after I sold an item on eBay.. I sold my laptop for $250.00 and the shipping label costed me $16.58 I put the payment option to take it out of the money I get from the laptop.. Well on the 9th I received my money and I immediately transfered the money from my PayPal to my bank account and an hour later I was hit with yet ANOTHER overdraft cause I didn't have any money in my account or my PayPal to pay for the shipping label I bought.. Why didn't they charge my visa card?! 

So now I'm stuck paying $60.00 because PayPal's payment options **bleep** up? This isn't right and I'd like help with getting my money back.. I haven't even paid for the shipping label because I had no funds but I get hit an overdraft for no reason? Like I said, I haven't paid for the shipping label yet.. So why was I hit with an overdraft? Um what? I'd like help NOW

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

eMac52
Contributor
Contributor

Beware of using Bank debit cards.  US Bank in particular.   I recently made a purchase thru PayPal and received a $36.00 "returned item fee".  This particular debit card/account is a low balance account......I also have American Express as a secondary payment account.

US Bank uses this "returned item fee" so circumvent Federal Banking Law as I have checked out of their "Overdraft Protection".  PayPal used my first funding source,  not knowing the balance would not cover the $11.99 Netflix charge.  US Bank then siezed the opportunity to charge my account $36.00 knowing full well that I had checked out of Overdraft Protection to avoid these type charges.

When I called US Bank,  I was told they could and would charge for sending the item back to PayPal.  This timeframe is normally 3 to 5 days.  I would not be surprised if US Bank tries to charge me $36.00 each day until this gets back to PayPal.  My PayPal statement shows the item as paid.  

I would strongly suggest that you use a credit card rather than a bank account/debit card when making PayPal purchases to merchants on a recuring basis.

US Bank likes to tout their "ethics" but I would suggest they are "void of even the slightest of ethics".

I will be closing my US Bank account Monday morning,  moving all my funds and wealth management accounts to another institution.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.