Purchase is more than Bill Me Later credit limit, default to backup source?

BubbaRob
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

Looking to make an online purchase that is $600 more than my $300 Bill Me Later credit limit. Bill me later is now my primary source.  When I make this purchase with Paypal will it go to my backup funding sorce (bank account) to finish the purchase or will it cancel due to credit limit of $300?  I cannot find any info on how this works. 

Thanks,

Rob

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Jobena25
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue. Did you find an answer?

Login to Me Too

BubbaRob
Contributor
Contributor
No firm answer yet. After much googling I did find one similar question that was answered. Basically it's all or none with bill me later. If you don't have enough credit you have to change your primary funding source to one that can cover the entire amount. So that's what I did. I just paid all cash and said screw it. Bill me later FAQ section didn't help either.
Login to Me Too

mermaid93
New Community Member

i called and tghey said have sellewr give two invoices so i did but in paypal  and i need the ebay invoice balance corrected to click on pay later with new balance stilkl have not figured out out to correct or gicve credit fromn seller on invoice let me know if you knowhow  plkease

Login to Me Too

Jobena25
Contributor
Contributor
After multiple calls between PayPal and BillMeLater I learned that you can NOT make a single purchase with more than one funding source. I was however, instructed to request 2 separate INVOICES from my seller: one for the amount of available credit I had with BillMeLater and one invoice for the difference. My seller agreed and I was able to take advantage of my BillMeLater credit line and pay the difference with funds I deposited into my PayPal account. A few more steps but well worth it!!!
Login to Me Too

BubbaRob
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info and taking the time to get clarification.  This will work great for a private seller transaction but not so good for an online retailer who only allows one payment via Paypal and offers no option to select multiple Paypal payments.  I have already made my purchase paying with all cash and will just keep my Buy It Now credit in case I want to grab something small in the future.

Thanks again,

Rob

Login to Me Too

Jobena25
Contributor
Contributor
You're welcome! Yes, I was dealing with a private seller who was willing to email two separate invoices to me when I emailed him & explained my predicament. Had the seller been a retailer, I would have asked for the same accommodation. A $600 sale is a $600 sale, after all! Worst case, all they could have said was no!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.