Paypal issued a Temporary Hold...

Will_F
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered a laptop for my business use, and will be going on a fairly lenghty business trip next week.  I expected the laptop to go through and be to me by Wednesday. After placing the order to Malibal PC, they immediately refunded the money because they didn't have the correct parts in stock.  The funds aren't showing removed from Chase yet either.  They literally charged via Paypal, and then refunded within the hour.  

When I check my Paypal account, Paypal has placed a Temporary Hold on the funds.  Doesn't give any information.  Just Temporary Hold-Placed.  

Now, I need to order another laptop, but I'm extremely hesitant to do so at this point, because another $1500 will cause me to possibly overdraft.  This is ridiculous.  What can I do?  

I literally can not wait on this issue.  Can someone help with some resolve?  Thanks, Will

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Will_F
Contributor
Contributor

Also, this was not an eBay transaction, it was through the vendors website.  

Help me.

Login to Me Too

Will_F
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal_Frank, you seem to be active.  Can you check into this situation and remedy it.  I'm in discussion with another vendor who will ship it out tomorrow if I can pay this evening, so I will have my PC by the time I leave.  

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Will_F,

Welcome to the community.

I'm sorry the community didn't answer you sooner.  The forum is designed for member to member help so we're not able provide account specific information or assistance.  You can learn more about that here. Why didn't an employee answer my post?

I wanted to give you a quick answer before I head home for the weekend since I know this is a time sensitive issue.  You may need to contact Customer Service for more specific assistance.

Based on your original post, it sounds like the first payment was funded with your bank account.  I would assume this because a Temporary Hold on a refund only happens if a refund was issued while PayPal is still waiting for funds to clear from a bank.

Typically when you first initiate an instant payment using your bank, PayPal will pay the seller immediately to ensure the item is shipped to you as fast as possible.  It can still take 3-5 business days for the funds to clear to PayPal.  Once the payment has been initiated, PayPal would not be able to cancel the bank transfer.  This means that if a refund is issued within that 3-5 business days, we have to wait for the funds to clear to us before we can refund them into your PayPal account.  The funds could then be used to make a new PayPal purchase or sent back to your bank through the "Withdraw" option on the website.  We have more information about the bank transfer process here: Using your bank with PayPal

If I'm correct about the situation, the funds may not be available in your PayPal account until Wednesday or Thursday next week (assuming the payment was initiated on February 2nd).  It's unfortunate that the merchant did not have the item in stock and this issue is occurring when you need to receive the laptop as soon as possible. 😞  We typically do not see payments refunded so quickly.

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Will_F
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, that's all well and good,but when I called Chase to possibly cancel the transaction, as I was told to do by Customer Support, they advised that they can not, because PayPal has confirmed receipt of the funds, and was through the ACH process. 

But when I click on my account, it still shows the Temporary hold.  Something has to give, because at this point, it's nearly too late to even get my laptop in on time, without paying rush shipping, rush building, so add another $150 on top of it because of this mess.  

Paypal has lost a long time user after this debacle.  It's fine to hold it until you receive the money, but when Chase has confirmed with PayPal, that the money has been received from the transfer (I was on hold nearly 30 minutes waiting for the confirmation), and the money is still being held, that's crossing the line.

For what?  Merely collecting interest for 2-3 more days on a $1500 amount.  I did a lot more business with Paypal than that, and guarantee that Paypal will lose a lot more than the interest gained off of this transaction.

Congratulations, word of mouth spreads quickly too in my line of work.  

Login to Me Too

Jeff_Rich
New Community Member

This also happened to me via EBAY. I made a purchase with Buy It Now, Went through Paypay and all..  Later it was cancelled by the seller for lack of items(more listings than product). Paypay showed refunded and I assumed it was cancelled. this was on a Friday..2/3 and purchased a different item the next day while checking my accounts and seeing nothing from PayPal.. still assuming it was cancelled..  So much for ASSUMING!!!  both transactons were processed on Monday 2/6 causing the Insuficient funds syndrome!!!  Paypal will take your money then refund it back to you. This could all take several days. Nowhere on the website did I find it stated that there is such a delay. Paypal (in my eyes) should be responsible for the fees but I doubt they will do anything..  I called the Service Desk twice and got representatives that had poor english(definetly not of this country) and less than cooperative attitudes. So be wary of cancelled transations!!  they can take days to process through Paypal ! !  Still working on the NSF fees but I have to wait for things to process out.. In todays world of technology I find it had to believe it is such a cluster..

Jeff

Login to Me Too

JolietBob
New Community Member

Ugg, this is a buggar.

Ditto on the same issue

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.