PayPal not using my PayPal balance for payments and keeps charging my bank account. Why?

chinyawa
Contributor
Contributor

I have a large PayPal balance and when I log in and view my Settings, PayPal displays a message indicating:  "If you have a PayPal balance, we'll use it first."

But.....PP is NOT doing that  and instead they ignore my PP balance and charge my linked Bank Account.  Why? 

Why aren't you using my PayPal balance????  #default payment method#

Thank you.

Login to Me Too
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Judith123
Contributor
Contributor

In case you haven't already:

Login to your account.

Click on Settings button (top, right).

Click on "Payment" tab (on blue band).

Make sure your Preferenced Payments methods are "checked" in both Online and In-store sections.

(I mention this because I've see the "If you have a PP balance, we'll use it first" message before, though I forget where.  Too, it seemed I could opt out of "using that balance first".  AND I don;t see that message in my account now, anywhere (Settings included), so... well I just want to be sure your "Preferences" are selected.  🙂 )

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
Solved

Judith123
Contributor
Contributor

Ah, yes!  (Maybe).

At so many online retailers, your Method of Payment is already selected (like Debit or Credit Card), unless you choose another method, right then.  You really have to be on your toes to catch that, sometimes.

Rather than "de-select" the "Choose another method" option, did you try (just) "selecting" (clicking on) "Pay with PP balance..."?  (You might get a pop-up to confirm your selection.)  I would test it on my account, but it's working for me now, I don't want to mess things up.  LOL.)  

Well, gee, let me know if you figure out how to change that.  🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

SOMETIMES the paypal balance may have a hold on it,go into resolution center and see if there is any case open ?

Login to Me Too

chinyawa
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion Lancelotme -- great idea.  No luck, however.  I have No Cases at all.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I could depend on the purchase and the risk perceived by PayPal.

What was the purchase?

Have you ever had any disputes filed relating to items sold?

How long since your last sale?

Login to Me Too

chinyawa
Contributor
Contributor

It's usually for purchases I make online, using my phone.  This "issue" has been going on for the past few months, where PayPal won't use my PayPal balance and instead charges my bank account.  Yet on the web site, underneath my PP balance, they indicate: "If you have a PayPal balance, we'll use it first."  

Login to Me Too
Solved

Judith123
Contributor
Contributor

In case you haven't already:

Login to your account.

Click on Settings button (top, right).

Click on "Payment" tab (on blue band).

Make sure your Preferenced Payments methods are "checked" in both Online and In-store sections.

(I mention this because I've see the "If you have a PP balance, we'll use it first" message before, though I forget where.  Too, it seemed I could opt out of "using that balance first".  AND I don;t see that message in my account now, anywhere (Settings included), so... well I just want to be sure your "Preferences" are selected.  🙂 )

Login to Me Too

chinyawa
Contributor
Contributor

That might be it!  When I click on Settings, Payments, "Paying in Stores" defaults to my Bank Account.  However, "Paying Online" has a check mark next to "Choose a Payment Method at Checkout" and it will NOT let me deselect/remove the check-mark.  So.....even though right underneath that it says "If you have a PayPal balance we'll use it first", I MUST be selecting an alternate payment at checkout.  See below print screen:PayPal Paying Online Print Screen.png

Login to Me Too
Solved

Judith123
Contributor
Contributor

Ah, yes!  (Maybe).

At so many online retailers, your Method of Payment is already selected (like Debit or Credit Card), unless you choose another method, right then.  You really have to be on your toes to catch that, sometimes.

Rather than "de-select" the "Choose another method" option, did you try (just) "selecting" (clicking on) "Pay with PP balance..."?  (You might get a pop-up to confirm your selection.)  I would test it on my account, but it's working for me now, I don't want to mess things up.  LOL.)  

Well, gee, let me know if you figure out how to change that.  🙂

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

The Pay with PayPal with green check mark is static, you can't select it.  That Pay Online section shows what methods are available but if you can't change or select default, guess we're stuck with choosing a back up method at checkout.  On Payment Review page during checkout, click "More funding sources" to select a back up.  Yes, make sure you really read the checkout pages to update ship to addresses if needed and/or back up payment method.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Judith123
Contributor
Contributor

Can that "PP Balance -- First" option be selected?  (Can you click on it to "check" it?)

If it can't be, maybe "Pay with PayPal balance" is one of those options you can choose at Checkout. (Be sure to click on "More Payment Options", if "Pay with PayPal" isn't already prominently displayed, when Checking Out.)

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.