(Important) - Made payment to wrong email, and I canceled, what now?

NayteWilson
Contributor
Contributor

The subject line pretty much explains my question.

Basically I found a phone on ebay for a really good deal, so I bought it for $115.00, I get a message from the guy saying he never received a payment. I noticed on my paypal account the payment said "unclaimed" so I sent him my paypal reciept, he told that the email was his old one and he wasn't sure on how it got there. Now I cancled the payment to his old email, and I am wondering how long will it take for me to get my money back, and where does it go, on my paypal account or does it just go back on my Amex card? 

Thank you all for your help,

Nathan

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

PayPal_Olivia

Hi NayteWilson,

Welcome to the Community! 🙂

If you paid with a credit card, the money will go right back to the card. The card issuer may take a short while to update the return of the funds - sometimes as much as a full billing cycle... but that's rare. Usually it shows up the same day or within a couple of days.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

NayteWilson
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Olivia for your help, that pretty much answered my question. 🙂

I canceled yesterday so I'm hoping it gets back to my card soon.

What if it doesn't go back on my card who should I contact for that?

Paypal, or my credit "debit" card company?

Thanks again!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi NayteWilson,

You're very welcome! 🙂

You can confirm in your transaction history that the money was sent by PayPal to your credit card by reviewing all your recent activity back to the date of the original payment. There may be a plus sign to expand related activity, and then you'll see the credit to your card. That will serve as confirmation on PayPal's side. If you need assistance reviewing that information, you can definitely contact PayPal so a representative can walk you through finding the information in your history.

If additional information is needed beyond that, checking with your card issuer will be the way to go. They can answer questions about the time frame for seeing the credit to your card balance.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Deannam22
Contributor
Contributor
I had the exact same issue yesterday and paid with my bank account. The money was canceled, but PayPal put a temporary hold on my refund. How long will this take and I can I notify PayPal that the seller was already paid?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi Deannam22, and welcome to the Community! 🙂

@Deannam22 wrote:
The money was canceled, but PayPal put a temporary hold on my refund.

I'd be happy to shed some light on that for you!

When you pay using Instant Transfer, PayPal pays the seller up front on your behalf while the funds clear in the background. Typically, it takes 3-5 business days for those funds to actually arrive at PayPal from your bank. If the seller refunds your payment before the money has finished clearing from your bank, the amount of the payment is held until that money comes in. Once it comes in from your bank, it is available for you to spend or withdraw, as you see fit.

Please take a look at this article to learn more about the time frames associated with using your bank with PayPal.

I hope this helps! 🙂

Olivia

Login to Me Too

Deannam22
Contributor
Contributor
I am not sure if it's exactly the same. The seller did not refund my money, I, as the buyer, canceled the transaction because the seller gave me the wrong emal address. The money was already removed from my bank account when I attempted initial payment. The seller cannot see this money as it was canceled on my end and PayPal is holding the money. How can I contact PayPal to release this money? Thank you!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi Deannam22,

Good call out - I answered as if it were a refund rather than a canceled payment. My apologies!

The outcome of either situation is the same, however. The request to the bank for funds is a process that can't be stopped, and the funds still take 3-5 business days to arrive at PayPal. Once they've cleared completely, you'll have access to them.

I hope this helps! 🙂

Olivia

Login to Me Too

Deannam22
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.