How to make buyer confirm he recieved the promised goods?

Tsar77
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, i recently sold some virtual goods to a buyer, he sent me the money and i send him the promised goods. His account is verified and 6 years old, but i have the suspicion something might be wrong. Today he contacted me again in order to proceed to a second transaction.

I want to know if there is anyway to protect myself by just asking him to confirm tha he recieved the promised goods inside paypal. For example if i ask him to send me an email from his paypal account that confirms he got the sent goods, would that provide me with some solid clues if he ever decides to claim he hasn't recieved?

Is there anotherway to protect myself? All I have now is our skype conversation that confirms it, but his skype account is on a different email.

Thank you all in advance.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Only method i can think of is transfering the recieved payment to a friend's paypal account, so that mine has no money in it to be disputed. This way i can secure myself? 

They can still dispute and under buyer protection if you don't pay them back paypal will.

BUT they will then limit your account and put it into negative balance until you pay them back again.

If you don't pay them back then they sell the "debt" on to a debt recovery agency.

And one last question, if i don't 100% trust a buyer, should I tell him to choose the "family and friends" option instead of goods?

You are not allowed to sell and ask the buyer to use the gift option to pay you. If you do paypal may well find out and again limit your account.

Sorry everything I seem to say is bad news, but to be honest its very risky selling your types of item and using paypal.

Personally i would ask for direct bank transfer instead but your buyers may be wary of paying that way.

I give up my time to help you so a thank you or kudos would be cool.

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Basically no, there is no seller protection on paypal for virtual items, you can sell them but at your own risk.

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Tsar77
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your time, so if there is no seller protection, there is no buyer protection too i suppose. Based on your level of experience, just in case he decides to scam me, wouldn't some solid evidence like an email or our conversation help me? 

By the way someone suggested i ask for payment sending a text like this: 

By payment, you signify understanding and acceptance with the following. This is payment for virtual goods and is nonrefundable and not protected by paypal's buyer protection policies. By payment, you acknowledge receipt of goods and satisfaction. You waive right to dispute payment on grounds of receipt, quality, description or any other reason.

What do you think? thanks again

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Yes there is now buyer protection for virtual items.

Also if he filed a dispute directly via his credit card if he funded the paypal payment with a c.c. then it would not matter if he had buyer protection or not.

As there is no seller protection then emails etc would make no difference.

As for adding your suggested disclaimer it would be meaningless to paypal and to a credit card company.    Smiley Sad

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Tsar77
Contributor
Contributor

Ok i see, there is a risk an any virtual goods transaction.

Only method i can think of is transfering the recieved payment to a friend's paypal account, so that mine has no money in it to be disputed. This way i can secure myself? 

And one last question, if i don't 100% trust a buyer, should I tell him to choose the "family and friends" option instead of goods?

Thank you very much for your time!

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

They can still dispute and under buyer protection if you don't pay them back paypal will.

BUT they will then limit your account and put it into negative balance until you pay them back again.

If you don't pay them back then they sell the "debt" on to a debt recovery agency.

You are not allowed to sell and ask the buyer to use the gift option to pay you. If you do paypal may well find out and again limit your account.

Sorry everything I seem to say is bad news, but to be honest its very risky selling your types of item and using paypal.

Personally i would ask for direct bank transfer instead but your buyers may be wary of paying that way.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Tsar77
Contributor
Contributor

As i said, I had a bad feeling about this. Now what?

"The buyer has filed a claim stating this transaction was made without the account holder’s knowledge or consent. Please click Resolve Claim Now to view your options to resolve this issue and how to provide relevant information that will help in PayPal’s investigation. We must receive your response by 7 calendar days from case creation in order to include your input in our investigation."

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If and only if paypal find in the buyers favour that the payment was unauthorised then you will have to pay them back again.

Smiley Sad

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Cadeleo
New Community Member

I work in the same field as you, I sell Virtual items.

I recently had a case where the buyer sent a dispute saying the item was badly damaged and missing parts. (Which it isnt). Previously I had him confirm that this is what he ordered and that it matched the advertisment. I used that as evidence against him. I do not know if it had worked yet as its still under investigation. but it may be a possible idea.

-Cadeleo

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.