How do I make a partial refund (for returned goods)

LiquidSky
Contributor
Contributor
I agreed to take back an item from a dissatisfied eBay customer. How do I issue a partial refund, ie, a refund of the original amount received less any fees and shipping costs? When I issue a refund am I credited back the initial Paypal fee? I agreed to this refund even after being quite clear in the listing that I did not accept returns. Naturally, the cost of the refund will be borne by the other party as we agreed when I elected to take the item back. (Please forgive if this question has been addressed a million times already. The shear volume of information here is leaving me bewildered at the moment. It seems someone asked this very same Q in 2010 yet there was no discussion ensuing. Odd?)
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

From the Help FAQs:  Type: Issue Refund  Click on Search

You can issue a full or partial refund up to 60 days after you receive a payment.
Here’s how to issue a refund:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click History.
  3. Click Details next to the payment you want to refund.
  4. Click Issue a refund.
  5. Enter the refund amount, then click Continue.
  6. Review the information, then click Issue Refund.

Note:

• You can refund payments that are Completed, Pending, Cleared, or Uncleared.
  • To make sure the buyer isn’t credited twice for the same transaction you cannot refund a payment when there’s a credit card chargeback associated with this payment.
  • When you refund a payment, we will retain the fixed fee of your transaction fee. To learn more about variable and fixed transaction fees, click Legal Agreements at the bottom of the PayPal page, click PayPal User Agreement and browse to section 8.
  • If there’s not enough money in your PayPal balance to cover the refund, we’ll issue the refund from your primary bank account.
Login to Me Too

LiquidSky
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the info. However, I tried this option. With it I am only offered the option of making a full refund. ( I'm not sure why. It's a cancelled eBay sale, could that be it?) is there. Way to make a partial refund?
Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If only offered the option for full refund, then you would need to use the Send Money feature:

• Click the Send Money tab located at the top of most PayPal pages.
  • Enter the information required to send money to the buyer.
  • Click the Continue button.
  • Review the information on the Confirmation page for accuracy, then click the Send Money button to complete the refund.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.