How can I verify the payment was authorised by account holder?

gdsn
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there. I recived a payment recently, but I want to ensure that the person who paid is authorized for that account. How would I do that? 

I have some uncertainty because the customer has not responded from that email address, ever, and when asked for verification, multiple times gave the wrong name on the account. She said she has sent us the reciept email multiple times, but we have no record reciving this. 

Thank you for your insights in advance

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You can't verify whether a buyer is the authorized user of the account.  This is the responsibility of the credit card processing company and PayPal.

As long as you follow all of PayPal policies for seller protection, PayPal will reimburse you if there is a chargeback.  You should review PayPal polcies for buyer and seller protection.

PayPal, however, can't protect a seller against poor judgement.

If there is no record of a transcation in your PayPal acocunt, there is no transaction and no money.  It's that simple and should be the end of any action or messages on your part.

Your lacking many details about the issue.

Did you have something for sale?  What selling site are you using?  Did you get a notication from the selling site that you had a sale?  What is the product?  Where are buyer and seller located?

Login to Me Too

gdsn
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you DPC... the product is a digital download. It is premium content prices at about $300 USD. I've sold many over the last 5+ years, and have only had 2 cases where someone said the charge was not authorized. Even though I disputed the claim, the money was refuned to them, plus a Paypal charge of $20. PP says its not a physical product and therefore not eligible for seller protection. This is why I am cautious. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

No seller proection for digital items and claims for non-delivery will be won by buyer, generally.

I'm more concerned about the other details that are missing from you original post, like selling site and why you even think there was a sales.

Since you have no transaction record, your comments seem more like this is a scam than a real purchase.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.