How can I change Funding Options.

bike-whisperer
Contributor
Contributor

I have noticed with the last few purchases I have made on ebay that Paypal has "Paypal Credit" pre-selected.  Of course I can change it when checking out, but I cannot seem to change it on paypal.  I absolutely do not want a funding source pre-selected for me, except by me.  I have searched the website, and cannot find where I change my preferences.  Somebody help me please.  Joe

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

According to this documentation, you should be able to choose a "Preferred Payment Method" when going through a payment and choosing a funding source.  As long as you've selected a preferred method then that should be the default every time.

If no preferred method has been chosen, PayPal will fund your transaction in this order...

• PayPal Balance
  • Instant transfer from your bank account (if eligible)
  • PayPal Credit
  • PayPal Cards (PayPal Extras Card or PayPal Smart Connect)
  • Debit card
  • Credit card
  • eCheck (a delayed transfer from your bank account - may result in significantly slower shipping by seller)

Based on that information I would say you must not have any preferred method set, your PayPal balance isn't enough to cover the purchase, and you don't have a credit card added to the account (which would make it eligible for Instant Transfer.)  As such, it's falling to the next level which is the PayPal Credit option.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

bike-whisperer
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks angelleye,

Unfortunately, none of those things is true.  I have a credit card on file. I have a paypal balance. I have been buying and selling on ebay since 1999.  Suddenly, I have to start paying attention to every purchase because "paypal credit" is now pre-selected on every one.  I did not make that switch. and as my dearly departed great grandson (God rest his old soul) always used to say: "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable,must be the truth".

That truth is that Paypal selected this for me for the same reason that they do everything else.  It's more profitable.  Uh-oh, this is probably triggering a response in Paypal's system, and they're probably going to realize that it has been a couple of years since they temporarily siezed my account funds.

Damnit man!  How about a real answer istead of this copy-paste mindlessness that seems to avoid the question!  🙂

Nice try though angelleye

P.S.  My "captcha" form below is "answe".  How profetic. It's just not quite.....

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

I'm just not so sure I could call that "truth".  I've been working with PayPal just as long as you have and I have 5 different accounts that I use on a regular basis.  None of them are defaulting to PayPal Credit when I make a purchase.  If I can't reproduce the problem then all I can do is go by what PayPal documents, which isn't mindless.  That's called troubleshooting.

If you don't want to accept that you could always submit a ticket directly to PayPal Merchant Technical Support and see what they have to say about it.  You'll want to make sure and include as much detail as possible with screenshots and maybe even video showing that you do have a credit card added, you do have a preferred method set, but it's still defaulting to PayPal Credit instead of following what the documentation says.  If it's an issue with your account in general they can fix it for you.

Login to Me Too

bike-whisperer
Contributor
Contributor

If you aren't sure that you can call that truth, then you are calling me a liar.

It is folks like you, who insult people's intelligence, and make wild accusations about their integrity that keep alive certain primal desires in others. 

Obviously the folks you grew up and associate with have issues with honesty, as well as their own kind of mindlessness.

Do folks get beat up a lot where you are from?

Don't reply

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

So sorry for providing details about your situation and offering potential solutions. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.