Gift Invoice Scam

Potatomaru

Hi, I'm assuming I just got scammed for virtual goods on the World of Warcraft by this user. He claimed that he would pay me, but rather than paying me he gift invoiced me and marked it as paid and said it should take up to 24 hours before my balance gets updated. Is this a scam? If it wasn't, I'm sorry for accusing him, but if it was can I report this user and is there a chance to get anything refunded? Also, I've read about this after this transaction and it seems that it is a very popular scam for the online trading community, so why is there an invoice option on paypal gifts. If it's supposed to be a gift, why can you invoice someone?

I edited out some of the information for privacy, but I'll publicize them if needed

http://imgur.com/C8NVeo2

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

I am not PayPal, so I cannot tell you 100% for sure.  They would make the decision.  In my experience, though, I wouldn't expect to win a dispute on this.  

If you want to, though, you could create a new case through the Resolution Center in your PayPal account.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

I'm not sure I fully understand what you expected to see happen here..??  What exactly did you receive to show that a payment was sent to you?  Any time a payment is sent you would see a transaction show up in your PayPal account.  Did you get this?

Login to Me Too

Potatomaru

This is my first time selling via paypal, I thought funds would take a little while to transfer. I was trying to take my time, but he kept rushing me along, which should've tipped me off. I fell for it, I was wondering if there's a place where I can set up a case, though. I have our skype conversation still saved.

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

Unfortunately, you're not going to be able to win a case without proof of delivery, which is really not possible with digital goods.  PayPal would want a carrier tracking number that would confirm the item has been delivered.  Without that, you won't win the dispute.

For future reference, never deliver anything unless you see that the payment is showing up in your account transaction history as "Completed".

Login to Me Too

Potatomaru

I have a chat log on Skype where he states he is sending over money and has received goods, is that not good enough?

Login to Me Too
Solved

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

I am not PayPal, so I cannot tell you 100% for sure.  They would make the decision.  In my experience, though, I wouldn't expect to win a dispute on this.  

If you want to, though, you could create a new case through the Resolution Center in your PayPal account.

Login to Me Too

Potatomaru

Just got off the phone, there is nothing they can do about it apparently. I want to contact authorities for this theft, but I have little to no information about this person.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.