Email received regarding payment I never made

Temp20230112BV
New Community Member

I received an email from **removed** claiming to be paypal. It was sent to an email that, untill now when I have just signed up today, was not linked to paypal.

It said "If this payment was made without your knowledge, you can cancel this payment. Clicking the link takes you to a broken URL.

The email read:

Obect not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404

Don't go to the link as I don't this is a real email.

It was sent to my email that at the time was not associated with a paypal account, and even though I have signed up with the email today, I have no bank details linked as I only signed up to ask the community for help.

Does this sound like a scam, or a legitimate email from paypal?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi PaidPal84,

Welcome to the community!   This is definitely a fake email and not from PayPal.  Please forward the email to spoof@paypal.com .  We collect these emails to help shut down phishing websites.

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi PaidPal84,

Welcome to the community!   This is definitely a fake email and not from PayPal.  Please forward the email to spoof@paypal.com .  We collect these emails to help shut down phishing websites.

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Temp20230112BV
New Community Member

Thanks

I was pretty sure it was but thanks for the confirmation.

I sent the email over to the address provided.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.