Do i still get charged if i issue a refund?

Robm86
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone, I have just sold an item on ebay and the person has paid but they have 0 feedback and have made the account moments before buying my item. I have had problems with people like this before and if i send it off i am 100% sure i will then get a dispute and the person wanting a chargeback.

My question is if i send them a refund do i still have to pay the £10 charge i have been charged for the transaction via paypal?

Any info would be great thank you.

P.S i just looked and it says the payment is pending?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Robm86

Is it pending INTO your paypal account by the buyer ie echeque etc or is it in your pending balance as part of the new seller hold.??

If its the hold then contact paypal and ask them to release the funds back to the buyer.

If its an echeque then wait until its cleared and then refund it.

If it does not clear then you need not do anything.

When you refund the full amount paypal take your amount + the fee you were deducted > refund the buyer.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Robm86
Contributor
Contributor

I cancelled and sent a refund now and everything seems to have gone through according to plan.

why do they hold your payment now? is this a new thing?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Robm86

Sorry late reply, just got back from work. >>>>>> from the buyers view point.

When you send a bank funded Instant Transfer payment, two things happen simultaneously:

- PayPal sends a request to your bank for the funds for the transaction. It takes 3-7 business days for funds to come from your bank.

- PayPal pays the seller up front for you, instantly, so that the seller will not delay in processing your order.

When refund or cancellation occurs for that payment within a few days of it being sent, the funds that PayPal paid up front for you are returned.

However, the funds from your bank account are still in transit. They haven't reached your PayPal account yet.

As soon as those funds clear, they are available for you to use or withdraw.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.