Discount codes?

BoomSmith
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't found any way to create a discount code for PayPal.  I sell boomerangs from my hobby website, and from time to time I want to give a discount, but don't want to have to change my webpages to facilitate this.  Has anyone figured out how to do this?  Someone must have...

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Payments Standard does have it's limitations.  You can use the "discount" variables on your web site or page to create codes or coupons however, codes or coupons are not supported using the online button creator.  It's takes some custom scripting on your end to make it all work but, it is very doable. There's a big difference between having a code or coupon verses a simple discount.  You can apply a discount, i.e. 10% to an item using the online button creator by inserting a discount variable in Step 3 of the process.  Another option would be to use a 3rd party cart that has the features you have in mind.

Login to Me Too

johnnycanuck
Contributor
Contributor

I want to make my discount at 20%. I go to the advanced variable section and I write discount_rate=20 and that gives me 20% on the first purchase. I need to have give me 20% off if some one chooses 10 items. How do you do this?

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Assuming your referring to the same item, the additional variable you need would be:

discount_rate2=20

Login to Me Too

johnnycanuck
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! I think I also need to put discount_num=99 to allow a buyer to purchase up to 99 posters, or is it necessary?

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You could do that.

Suggest checking out this guide as it explains the use of these variables:

https://www.paypalobjects.com/webstatic/en_US/developer/docs/pdf/pp_websitepaymentsstandard_integrat...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.