Difference between using Bank Account or Debit Card to Pay

gkdiamond
Contributor
Contributor

What is the difference between using one over the other? They are both debits from my bank account.

Do banks normally charge a fee when PayPal takes the payment directly from a bank account?

What information does the bank account method show on my bank statement?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If the buyer pays using funds from their bank account, it can take 2 to 4 days for the seller to receive the funds.  If the buyer pays with either their PayPal Account Balance or a Credit Card, the seller receives the funds almost right away.  Where folks run into delays and/or issues is not having a verified PayPal Account.  That can be the buyer, the seller or both.  Then you both deal with limits and holds.  Let's say for example, you as a seller have not verified your PayPal Account, PayPal can hold your funds up to 21 days.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

What is the difference between using one over the other? They are both debits from my bank account.

Correct.  Debit cards are more convenient and basically replace paper checks.  When you use your debit card, the funds are usually immediately taken from your bank account.

Do banks normally charge a fee when PayPal takes the payment directly from a bank account?

No fee.

What information does the bank account method show on my bank statement?

Same as a paper check.

Login to Me Too

gkdiamond
Contributor
Contributor

snowshoe,

Thanks for your response.

"When you use your debit card, the funds are usually immediately taken from your bank account."

So the direct from bank account method is not immediate? How long does it take before the funds are taken and does the seller still get paid immediately (like with a debit card) or do they have to wait until the fund are actually taken?

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Bank account transfers usually take 2 to 4 days.  Note, PayPal uses the ACH transfer system, requests are done in batches and the tranfer time depends on the bank.  Some banks are quicker than others, personally our transfer time is usually 2 days, once in a while 3.

Login to Me Too

gkdiamond
Contributor
Contributor

Does the seller get paid immediately or do they have to wait for the 2 to 4 day transfer period? Thanks.

Login to Me Too
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If the buyer pays using funds from their bank account, it can take 2 to 4 days for the seller to receive the funds.  If the buyer pays with either their PayPal Account Balance or a Credit Card, the seller receives the funds almost right away.  Where folks run into delays and/or issues is not having a verified PayPal Account.  That can be the buyer, the seller or both.  Then you both deal with limits and holds.  Let's say for example, you as a seller have not verified your PayPal Account, PayPal can hold your funds up to 21 days.

Login to Me Too

gkdiamond
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, got it! Thanks again for all your help.

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Don't forget to make your post as "solved", else someone will tag a totally different post to yours.

Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.