Deposit foreign currency

KenMau
New Community Member

My own currency is Canadian.  But it shows a USD account after logged in, I am wondering if I can receive USD without convert to CAD so that I can use for purchase in the future?  Or vice versa can I direct deposit USD into the account instead of coverting CAD to USD?

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Krystin1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @KenMau

This is a wonderful question to post in the PayPal Community Help Forum as it is common. I hope I can help to clarify and answer your questions. 🙂 

PayPal allows the option to have a balance in multiple currencies on any PayPal account. You can receive payments and send payments from any currency in your PayPal account. As long as the payment you are sending has the full available balance in the same currency, the transaction can be completed without a currency conversion. 

The confusing part is when you add a bank account or card to the PayPal account. The bank account and/or card is added in a specific currency. For example, a bank account added with a US account and routing number will be listed in the USD currency. If you withdraw a CAD balance to the USD bank account, a currency conversion will occur. If you withdraw a USD currency, no conversion will take place. You may add a bank transit and institution number to have the bank account listed in the CAD currency to prevent a withdraw from the CAD balance from being converted. 

PayPal provides an opportunity to exchange currency within the PayPal balances. The currency conversion amount and fee will be displayed before the currency is converted. 

I hope this helps to answer your questions. 🙂 

- Krystin 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.