Can't login from iPad /iPhone apps when SMS keys are already enable

Niederlander
New Community Member

Someone posted this b4 (it's in the archives).

i have the same problem buthese original solution posted was no good because you cannot login much less get into set up 

In a nutshell the problem is this: if you set up SMS security keys for your account on a pc, when you try to get into your account on an iPad or iPhone from the eBay app or the paypal app you cannot login in. Why? Because the iPad / iPhone user is never given the prompt to REQUEST the SMS key be sent.

What is the fix/ workaround?

original post follows:

----------------------------

I am trying to make a payment using Paypal on the eBay app on my ipad (eBay Mobile).

When I click to pay for an item by Paypal , I am taken to the Express Checkout "Secure Login" window.

When I enter my mobile phone number and mobile pin into this window ( I have verified this pin on the main site), I receive the message "We are unable to log you in. On your computer, go to paypal website for further assistance"

If I instead select the password login option, I enter my paypal account registered e-mail address and password, and receive the message "Please add the number on your security key to the end of your password to login".

I do not have a physical security key - to log in on the main site, I receive sms security keys.

How on earth do I log in to the express checkout?!! Please help, I'm at the end of my tether with this now......

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

knitsteel
New Community Member

I'm having the same problem with an android phone.  This is silly.  What is the solution?

Login to Me Too

DWBB
Contributor
Contributor

I called up with this query and nothing whatsoever could be suggested. It's a joke.

Come on PAypal, pull your finger out and stop the IPad/IPone versions of the site being unseable when using SMS authentication.

Login to Me Too

kabennett
New Community Member

I'm having the same problem. After speaking to 3 customer service reps, I was told that they had never come across this problem before and when they find a solution, i would get a call back. Haven't heard anything yet so I'll just delete the paypal app on my Ipad. Thanks Paypal.

Login to Me Too

DWBB
Contributor
Contributor
Yeah, I just checkout through the third party shopping cart these days.
Login to Me Too

JerryGonzalez
New Community Member

I'm having the same issue on both my Android phone and iPad.  So much for using my mobile devices on PayPal.  And forget about using PayPal Here too.  I think it's best to just use PayPal from your home computer and if you need a mobile merchant account - Square has worked great for me!

Sorry PayPal - I tried but you all failed.  Squareup.com it is!

Login to Me Too

Dandoknight
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem on iPhone and iPad - so glad it's not just me!!  This must be costing PayPal a fortune!!

Login to Me Too

rhys_owain
Contributor
Contributor
I work for a company that uses technology like this, and if an issue like this slipped through our QA net, it would be worked on all day and all night if even just one of our users flagged it up as something that prevented them from using our service. Poor show Paypal, you've rendered your mobile app useless for a lot of your users. Btw, I have this issue too, if you're bothering to take a tally.
Login to Me Too

Carwashh
New Community Member

Try this, worked for me:

1- Login to the paypal website on your computer.

2- Deactivate your mobile phone/ all security keys (I only have a phone on mine) - Profile -> My Account Settings -> Security Key.

3- On your mobile, login as normal. You should now be able to login with just user name/ email and password.

4- If it works, great! Close the app and kill it (double tap home button -> hold your finger on the paypal app icon -> tap to close it).

5- Re-open the paypal app.

6- It should now ask you to login again, tap the 'Create Pin' link.

7- Login with your password (as you've previously logged in, you shouldn't need your user name again).

8- Follow on screen instructions to create your Pin.

9- Go back to the paypal website and re-activate your phone as a security key.

10- You should now be able to freely use the paypal app. 

After you've done that, the app will no longer ask for your password, it will ask for the pin you just created (so remember it!).

Worked for me, hopefully helps others out.

Login to Me Too

DrSparky
New Community Member

Didn't work for me. 😞

I too have gone multiple rounds with the so-called help desk. I had the same experience as everyone else has had on every forum I've read, i.e. they act as if they've never heard of this problem. Their solution was to deactivate the security key to my phone, thereby making my account less secure!

They really should hire at least one engineer because anyone who tried to use the app even once would have discovered this obvious design problem.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.