Buyer alleges misrepresentation

NutmegCT
Contributor
Contributor

Buyer received item and emailed it was not measured correctly.  I, seller, requested photo & buyer sent a photo which was clearly illegible, dark, unclear, not visible.  Then buyer immediately filed an Escalated Claim with PAYPAL instead of even attempting to negotiate as advised by PAYPAL.  Made allegations to PAYPAL that I made misrepresentations and was unethical - NOT TRUE AT ALL - this is the only buyer that has "ever" be unsatisfied for whatever reason.  I immediately responded to PAYPAL request for information and stated I would refund buyer purchase price - BUT NOT SHIPPING - upon return of item.  Buyer wants refund for entire amount and before item is return.  I as seller, want item returned in the "same condition as sent to buyer" prior to issuing purchase price refund.  I also requested additional photos as second set was not on a clear, solid, light background.  I think this buyer has buyer's remorse or decided they did not want item after all.  In my invoice I clearly stated ALL SALES FINAL - NO RETURN.  I do not want to refund prior to having the item returned to me in same condition because I have a gut feeling buyer will not return item.

I, as seller, want my item back (via US PRIORITY MAIL) and I will issue purchase price refund (and not the shipping US PRIORITY MAIL w/confirmation) and be done with this buyer. I don't one a "bad apple" interfering with my ability to sell - not worth it.  This one bad experience makes you wonder if you really want to do business via PAYPAL - since they lock your account.  Better to sell to "cash buyer" locally.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

I would see it as a good thing they are not being co operative as paypal will see this, however they still have time to respond

I remember waiting around 10 days for the seller to return an item, I asked for pics and saw that they were not in the same condition sent

In the end after 10 days of waiting, them not responding I called paypal and complained it wasnt fair they havent returned the item and that meanwhile my money was on hold, they closed the case and my money was released I think the next day

I got negative feedback !but followed up with the truth

Yes I agree all the info you gave them should have been added to the case

I agree as well about uploading documents, not everyone  has the facilities to do this

Your funds will be on hold until the case is closed

If I were you, give it more time and if they still  wont respond call paypal again 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi NutmegCT

Do not refund unless the item has been returned state that in the case(you've probably done this already)

When buyers are refunded they are usually refunded the full amount including shipping because thats what they paid

The buyer has to pay for return postage unless stated otherwise, or unless you are a business seller where selling rules apply

If the buyers escalates in some cases I know they are refunded and dont have to ship the item back so tread carefully

I would call paypal tell them the buyer wants you to refund first before they return the item which is against their policies and you'e worried about the item being returned damaged and ask for advice if this happens

Do this asap

Login to Me Too

NutmegCT
Contributor
Contributor

I attempted to add addtional response to Escalation Claim by buyer but PAYPAL does not allow that on Resolution Screen - you either have to fax additional information or email with attachment.  I requested Buyer to send additional photos on a clear, light, solid background - the response I just received from buyer, "There is no reason to send additional photos, they are very clear.  Your advise is well-taken.  I did not want to refund the shippping because in my advertisement I clearly stated buyer to pay all fees.  Now buyer is alleging misrepresentation, unethical practices - all my other buyers in past have been satisfied with items.  That this buyer immediately escalated this is unnerving to say the least.  My question is why did the buyer send photos that were not visible in the the first place - then when I asked for clear photos they immediately made an escalated claim.  Sounds questionable to me.  Perhaps your advice to refund entire amount, only upon me, the buyer, having my item returned in same condition as sent prior to refund is the better route to take - just to get them off my back.  No seller needs buyers like this.  Frankly, my gut feeling is that buyer will not send item back if I issue refund and obviously they are not aware of PAYPAL policy of returning item and then having refund issued.  Will make me think twice about using PAYPAL and just selling to "cash" customer.

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

I understand your concerns, unfortunately not everyone is honest

As the case is already escalated I would still contact paypal and put your side through as you cannot add anymore additional info

It will show you are willing to refund upon return of the item in the original state

If you issue a refund first I doubt they will return it, then there is nothing you can do

It is annoying and frustrating when you get a setback like this but as you've said you have had successful sales too

Theres nothing stopping you advertising your items locally as well as on Ebay I do

Block them on your blocked bidders list

Login to Me Too

NutmegCT
Contributor
Contributor

I just spoke to Paypal (Steve) and explained the problem.  He is going to request that the buyer send my item back to me with confirmation (will send us both email), once I have checked that it is in same condition as sent, I will issue refund. I explained to Paypal that buyer immediately escalated to claim when I requested clear photos and her responses (the last one claiming I was being ridiculous).  You were correct, PAYPAL said DO NOT ISSUE REFUND FIRST - they will handle everything from this point on.  If the buyer continues to harass me via email I will then report to police for harassment though I do not want to go that route.  I explained all to PAYPAL and something is telling me something is clearly wrong.

BTW, I wasn't advertising on EBAY for the item - but will sure watch for this gals email address if there are inquiries from her.  If she leaves any sort of negative reviews I will at least have the back-up of PAYPAL to indicate I wanted to resolve this issue immediately.  Buyers like this no one needs.

Thank you for your input - really welcome as I was stressing especially after buyer kept sending emails not wanting to even meet my requests.

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Oh sorry so its a private transaction ok

Ok then Im sure thats a little weight off your mind at least now you know you have done everything you can

Paypals decision now you win some , you lose some!

I wouldnt bother replying to the emails if they come to your private email just block them after its over

Good LuckSmiley Wink

Login to Me Too

NutmegCT
Contributor
Contributor

Just looked at Paypal Claim and the buyer has not responded to PAYPAL request of returning item.  I don't know if that's a good or bad thing - but surely shows buyer not being immediately cooperative as I, the seller, was.  It was a little disconcerting when I reviewed the history for this claim that PAYPAL did not include that I called to return item in same condition and refund would be made and that buyer was not cooperating as well as buyer claiming that I made a misrepresentation and was being unethical. Hmmm!  However, I have a fax number and will send my documented emails to buyer requesting information as well as documenting my call to Paypal, the person spoken to at Paypal and time.  I do not want anything negative in my Paypal account because some unreputable buyer is making false claims against me.

It's certainly discouraging that PAYPAL does not have the mechanisms in place that a seller can include that in the claim especially when it's an uncooperative buyer. 

Do you know if this wil freeze my account until such time it is fully resolved? 

Login to Me Too
Solved

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

I would see it as a good thing they are not being co operative as paypal will see this, however they still have time to respond

I remember waiting around 10 days for the seller to return an item, I asked for pics and saw that they were not in the same condition sent

In the end after 10 days of waiting, them not responding I called paypal and complained it wasnt fair they havent returned the item and that meanwhile my money was on hold, they closed the case and my money was released I think the next day

I got negative feedback !but followed up with the truth

Yes I agree all the info you gave them should have been added to the case

I agree as well about uploading documents, not everyone  has the facilities to do this

Your funds will be on hold until the case is closed

If I were you, give it more time and if they still  wont respond call paypal again 

Login to Me Too

NutmegCT
Contributor
Contributor

Update - very disappointed in PAYPAL.  They released funds to buyer before I actually received merchandise back.  When I called again - I spoke to a "rude" csr - told me, "I'll be blunt with you - it doesn't make any difference what information the seller provides (i.e. pictures, emails, etc).  Luckily the merchandise was in original condition as sent to buyer BUT it could have been far worse - and the scam buyer would have had been refunded money leaving the seller empty-handed.  This seller also provided false information, again, as to ship date.  Said they shipped it out such & such a date but when I pulled the USPS tracking information that clearly was not the case.  Personally, I think it's deceptive practices on the part of PAYPAL to not have a section to allow seller comments to document a particular transaction.  I will, however, block the buyer from my email and the non-eBay site has a section to report as fraud which I will do to protect other potential sellers from their buying tactics.  I would venture to guess if I had fallen for the buyer's demand to refund the money prior to getting item returned - it would not have been returned.  Buyer got angry because I disputed refund until I returned item in same condition as sent

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Glad to hear you received it back ok, you never know what outcome paypal will have!Smiley Wink

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.