Are 21 day holds just for ebay or any payment you receive?

jx
Contributor
Contributor

I'm looking to sell on other websites. Will I get my money without a hold as long as its not ebay? Because I dropship and need free cash flow.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

This is the reasons for the hold so you can see if they apply to you.

I will leave out the ebay reasons.

Why your payments are held.

• You have been a PayPal member for less than 6 months and have limited selling activity
• You have a sudden change in selling activities (e.g. suddenly selling expensive items, selling large numbers of items, etc.)
• You happen to be selling in a high risk category such as tickets, travel, gift vouchers, computers, electronics, mobile phones, etc.
Depending on the circumstances, paypal may set aside payments for a single transaction or for all payments to sellers who meet the criteria above.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

smooth46
New Community Member

I think this 21 day payment holding is abunch of crap and its just a way for paypal and ebay to make more money off of people.

Login to Me Too

Werdna

Couple more reasons for possible holds on payments.

• You’re involved in a pending PayPal dispute, claim, or eBay Buyer Protection case, or your buyer has filed a chargeback or reversal with their bank.
  • Your payments may be placed in your pending PayPal balance because you’re a new seller (whether on or off eBay), or because you have a Below Standard seller rating on eBay. By delaying the availability of payments for up to 21 days, we have time to make sure your buyer didn’t experience any problems with their order.
  • Your account has been temporarily limited because we’ve noticed an issue with your account and need your help to resolve it.
  • A reserve has been placed on your account.
  • We’ve identified a potential issue with a buyer’s payment and are reviewing the transaction. We typically complete these reviews within 24 hours. During this time, the payment won’t be available and we’ll ask that you wait to ship the item to your buyer until we complete our review.
Login to Me Too

RoarMane
Contributor
Contributor

I've got a transaction on, but as well didn't get solved till now.

Login to Me Too

jx
Contributor
Contributor

These holds are insane. It should max out at 10 days like google checkout and they have a verify period that ends it. There is no reason to hold money 21 days. Unless that is for China shipped products. And if that is the case it should be only for products that ship from China. I sale hundreds worth of items weekly. I want to move back to ebay or use paypal but I can't have money held for 21 days.

That's 21 days on each item. Its not like I can tell employees,suppliers,etc to wait 21 days.I need free cash flow.Some customers have been asking about paypal because right now I use merchant accounts. If the hold is just from products through ebay I will allow pay through paypal. But if its on sales from any website then I can't use paypal.Paypal needs to have a verification program for sellers or something because these policies seem very unprofessional.It doesn't even take anywhere close to 21 days for a check to clear at a bank. And checks,money orders,etc have the largest fraud in the world. Also when I sold on ebay the buyer gave me positive review and the tracking number showed as delivered. And I still never got a release of my funds. I had to contact paypal with proof of delivery and then they released it after another 2 days.

Login to Me Too

nicholejo
Contributor
Contributor

they unhold the money 3 days after it person gets it which is ok...but if you need the money now then you are f***

Login to Me Too

MissKathi
Contributor
Contributor
I can tell you the holds also apply to cash deposits now too! I have added funds and they first started to hold 20% from may 8th deposit and it said they would release the 20% reserve deposited "that day only" on June 21st 2013 from last week. I used a Paypal cash card hoping they wouldn't hold those funds either and they did. It says it holds funds from sales to have a reserve for charge backs - these are not sales funds - these are Paypal cash cards that they charge $3.95 for then hold a average that you spend. So on top of the held funds for 21 days for sales - they are going to hold a 20% or more of the sales proceeds. Now after a month of cash deposits not from sales or selling anything - Paypal now hold 33% of every deposit I make to purchase goods and supply's- So if I need to pay for supply's i have to add 33% to the item just to pay for it! if I even deposit $25.00 they actually held $11.00- it's crazy! They also limit you to $500 a day and 4,000 a month deposits - so if you actually deposited that much money, I'd say they would let you use half, as my reserve keeps going up! It started at $65.00 and I have 323.00 now in reserves and they don't have a set amount or percent ; it's frustrating! So if its from sales your funds are going to be held 21 days and only a portion of that is going to be able to be used as they now hold reserves on sales - and bank transfers, cash deposits etc., ! So if anyone knows how to resolve or fix this - I'd love to know ! I haven't tried the green dot money pack - only one i have not tried !! but when I transferred bank funds- same thing ! I even went as far to put in the paypal here and receive the credit card swipe payment and I swiped my own credit card on my iphone to add funds- they held a portion of all those funds - all my funds; none of was from sales! The 21 days held i thought would stop for me as I've been Paypal- eBay customer since 2003; now funds held reserves for "charge backs"! Anyone else finding this issue ?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.