American express chase bluebird card & paypal

chad25
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't bought or sold on ebay for a few years.I bought a item,well tried to.A family member gave me a $50 debit master gift card.I tried to pay with it like 32 times on ebay checkout.I called the # to the card,they said paypal doesn't accept this type of gift card or the company that makes them doesn't accept going through paypal.

Last night I called paypal.I asked if i can use a bluebird american express card(Jp morgan/chase) through paypal.The agent said to me if its in the list of accepted brands(visa,master card,american express,& discover) it will work reguardless if its gift card/prepaid etc,but it depends on the issuer that makes the card.

So after that I called chase right after.The agent at chase told me yes it will work buying on ebay going through paypal,& paypal will charge $1.So both basically told me it will work & it will be smooth transactions.

I think paypal said to me $1 is charged but returns back on my card 2-5 days later.I'd like to know if my leg is being pulled or not.I want to get a bluebird today & hurry up and purchase my auction win today.I'm 2 days late now on paying the seller because of this dumb bs.I would just get a moneypak but of course it has to be cash ONLY so im sool on that.I have enough on my gift cards to pay the bluebird fees($5 activation & $2 to load using debit,& the $1 paypal fee using the card) & add the amount I need.I believe chase told me I can use the temp card immediatly I just have to call them first before I use it online

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Prepaid cards can be a risk:

Per PayPal's own Help FAQs, they state the following: You can't link a gift card, prepaid card, or one-time-use card to your PayPal account.  From our experience the exceptions are, PayPal Products or Green Dot Money Packs or a Prepaid Card that allows you to register both your name and billing address.

Suggest not trying to link a prepaid card to your PayPal account unless the card is a PayPal Product or a Green Dot Money Pack or you have contacted the prepaid card issuer and registered both your name and billing address with the card.  Note, there’s still a risk that the registered prepaid card may not be accepted if the name does not match the PayPal account name or the billing address is incomplete.

With many prepaid cards, there's no owner name or billing address information nor is there a way to include that information on the card.  There’s only the card number and an amount.  PayPal can see the amount but, their security checks cannot confirm the card owner as there’s no name or address info.  When that happens, you are asked to use another funding source.

If you try link the card, you may have some dollar amount removed however, the linking process will fail.  In other cases, you can link the card and may even have a small amount deducted from the card while trying to confirm it but again, you may not be able to use it for a purchase.  As for how you go about getting that dollar amount returned, you may need to contact customer support for assistance or the card issuer or both.

Login to Me Too

chad25
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.Paypal even has my SS#.If I get a bluebird I don't have to add info right away.But I have to go online or call to register to get a permanent card.When registering with bluebird name,address,phone #,& SS# is required so I don't see how it will be a problem.I will make sure its perfectly matched down to upper/lower case letters & perioods.After registering with bluebird the temp card & card coming in the mail can be used online immediatly & will be linked to my name,phone#,SS#,& address.

I really don't see how this will be any problem since blue requires what paypal needs.I might get paypal & chase on the phone together at the same time on speaker while I checkout on ebay.

Login to Me Too

thepanttherlady
New Community Member

The Bluebird American Express does work with Paypal as I currently have this card linked to my account and use it as my primary method of payment. 

Login to Me Too

gfrancois2
New Community Member
I wanna use y bluebird to recievee payments on my paypal. how did u get your bluebird on your account
Login to Me Too

gfrancois2
New Community Member
I wanna use myy bluebird to recievee payments on my paypal. how did u get your bluebird on your account
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.