using prepaid visa card

bloodyeric12
Contributor
Contributor

i was wondering can i use like a $50 prepaid visa card and transfer the money on to my paypal account? and then use another card again?

Login to Me Too
88 REPLIES 88

tancoul
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Adrian, 

Thank you for your reply! 

I activated and registered the card quite some time ago online, but when it didn't work, I called to ask them make sure my card was registered with my name and address. They confirmed my address was registered, but I still wasn't able to use it on paypal.

Customer service said it might just be that the card I have is not compatible to use on paypal... but perhaps I should wait a couple more days to try again and see if the information has been processed. Otherwise, it's alright, I'll try to figure another way 🙂 Thank you 

Login to Me Too

DaraLee
New Community Member

So, if I sell something on ebay and the buyer pays thru PayPal, I can have the Visa Prepaid Card accept the balance?

Login to Me Too

cocakolakid
Contributor
Contributor

I have read through the replies in this thread looking for a way to be able to upload the available funds from Prepaid VISA/MasterCard's. I have found when I make multiple purchases with these cards, there will always be a remaining balance that can be very difficult to retain or use to make purchases. Any remaining balance under $1, you may as well pretend the funds aren't really there. Will PayPal allow remaining balances from these cards be added to my account? I realize there would be the whole process of verifying the creditcard and banking account of the prepaid credit card. Or will this be deemed as unacceptable practice as creditcards will be added and removed as soon as its the card gets emptied? I've looked over the place, in hope that there would be an online company out there that will accept it. Keepin' my fingers crossed that PayPal would be the one!

Login to Me Too

Diploneis
Contributor
Contributor

So, this conversation really begs two questions:

1)  Why does Paypal not permit us to choose the funding source?  I don't necessarily want to deplete my balance, recognizing that other sources (e.g., my credit card) may reward me for their use.

2)  Why would I not be given the option of combining funding sources?  The prepaid visa cards (which are frequently provided through rebate offers) are generally of fairly low value ($10, $20, $30).  Would be nice if I could combine them with each other, a credit card, bank account, or paypal balance, to come up with the full amount of a purchase.

Why should Paypal care?  I currently have $60 in Visa prepaid cards that I would like to utilize before they expire.  If I can't combine them, I won't buy the item I want on Ebay (my preference).  Instead, I'll look for an online retailer that can sell me the same item and will let me combine my two $30 prepaid cards.  Who looks to gain, under this scenario?  I'm certain I'm not the only person in this position...

Login to Me Too

billyloon
New Community Member

I am seeing conflicting information from the PayPal admin on here.  He says it's fine to use a prepaid card, but yesterday my PayPal account was locked out.  When I called to find out why it was locked, they told me that the PayPal policy is that they do NOT permit prepaid cards to be used for PayPal purchases and there is a 15 card limit on the life of the account.  So if you get a handful of low-value prepaid cards and use them on PayPal, they will work until you have registered 15 cards over the life of your PayPal account, then everything locks and it cancels all money transfers and requests that you have made.  This is a bunch of crap.  They should let you link any number of prepaid cards.

Login to Me Too

cocakolakid
Contributor
Contributor

@Diploneis wrote:

So, this conversation really begs two questions:

1)  Why does Paypal not permit us to choose the funding source?  I don't necessarily want to deplete my balance, recognizing that other sources (e.g., my credit card) may reward me for their use.

2)  Why would I not be given the option of combining funding sources?  The prepaid visa cards (which are frequently provided through rebate offers) are generally of fairly low value ($10, $20, $30).  Would be nice if I could combine them with each other, a credit card, bank account, or paypal balance, to come up with the full amount of a purchase.

Why should Paypal care?  I currently have $60 in Visa prepaid cards that I would like to utilize before they expire.  If I can't combine them, I won't buy the item I want on Ebay (my preference).  Instead, I'll look for an online retailer that can sell me the same item and will let me combine my two $30 prepaid cards.  Who looks to gain, under this scenario?  I'm certain I'm not the only person in this position...

This actually isn't an issue that PayPal can do anything about, it's just how credit card companies process their payments. If any given card cannot cover the amount of the purchase it will decline. The only way Paypal can be used to make split payments is to have a certain amount of funds within your Paypal account plus the amount remaining on a single prepaid credit card. 

Login to Me Too

Diploneis
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting thought, cocakolakid, and appreciated.  However, I know of multiple online retailers that will permit combination of at least two credit cards (Dell, for example), whereby the user specifies what proportion of the purchase price is allocated to each funding source.  Hence, I would suggest that the issue does indeed reside with paypal and is not a limitation of the credit providers.

Login to Me Too

westboy
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem with prepaid visa/mastercard cards. In the past I have had used small amounts like $25 and $50, and they went thru with success.  Now I have a new prepaid card to steamline my account to make transcations easier and faster.  What I wanted is to remove my bank account and use the prepaid card only. The card is capable of being re-load with new amount as many times I like. The reason is because of faster time in process to clear out a payment.  I don't LIKE in dragging my time in waiting for 6 to 8 business days for PayPal to clear up a payment from my bank account! 

But it seems PayPal is taking their sweet time to accept my new card now... I had sent a e-mail to them to request for why the reason.

Login to Me Too

Joey_D
New Community Member

Hi everyone! I am a new user to paypal and have a few questions. I am looking to purchase a swedish house mafia ticket from someone on craigslist via pay pal. However, I am looking to use an american express prepaid gift card to send the order. Pretty much what i am asking is how does paying through pay pal work? will this person accept the payment using this particular method? my balance on my pay pal acocund is 0 dollars. someone please help. any responses are appreciated

Login to Me Too

CaniacNation
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I've followed this thread and think I understand, but what if I am making a $300 purchase with a $250 Visa prepaid card.  Can I put the Visa as my primary and an existing Mastercard as my backup?  (Will paypal know to only charge $250 to the Visa?)  Thanks.

Edit:  I just saw additional pages to this thread that answered my question.  Ignore.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.