Wrong account was charged

Suraiyn
Contributor
Contributor

I very clearly stated that I wanted my credit card charged for the most recent transaction that I made but they charged my debit instead. I definitely did not have the amount that was needed which is why I selected my credit card and now I am having to deal with overdraft fees and finding money that I don't have right now. This is ridiculous! There is also no way to reach a real person to talk to about this apparently and it's driving me crazy. Is there any way to tell if the transaction is pending? Does paypal cover your overdraft charge for their negligence? I am so disappointed, definitely deleting my account after this transaction nightmare is over with.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

rduhig
New Community Member

The only advice I can offer is to contact your bank, and hopefully after explaining the situation to them they'll refund the fee. Mine did, as this recently happened to me as well. Just recently I made a purchase and directed paypal to use my paypal balance first and credit card as backup, and then a couple days later I received an email saying there wasn't sufficient funds in my bank account so my credit card was used in stead, and this resulted in a $40 NSF fee. I have confirmation emails showing clearly that paypal was supposed to use my credit card, not my bank account. This has happened more than once.

Login to Me Too

Mieczyslaw
New Community Member

Dear god...

It happened to me twice. Both times when paying for eBay purchases. I thought that in the past I might simply checked the wrong card during payment. I haven't any hard evidences, even clear memories about numbers. But 2 days ago it happened again, and this time I have at least absolutely clear memory of last 4 digits of card, that was chosen as a source for payment. I double checked that I have chosen credit card, instead of debit card. And guess what. When I looked on my bank account online just an hour later I just saw that they charged my debit card instead of credit one.

I contacted PayPal - right now there is option to fill in a complaint via web form. After 24hrs they answered that they pushed my complaint to the tech department. After another 24hrs my card was permanently charged (transaction was settled). Now I am awaiting, if they will chargeback my debit card and then charge credit one, accordingly to what I asked for in my complaint. I will get back here to tell you, if this online complaint to PayPal would help me to correct the situation and charge my credit card instead of debit one.

For sure contacting bank will not help here. No matter if this would generate additional costs on bank account or not.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.