Why is vendor asking to use my credit card information for future purchases?

Sandravw
New Community Member

I recently wanted to buy a cosmetic product from BOOM. Cost was about $35 U.S.

When I was directed to PP there was a statement asking if I agreed to let BOOM use the same credit card information for future purchases, to save time. There was a box for me to check. It was necessary to indicate my approval by checking a box. If I did not check the box it was not possible for me to continue with my payment by clicking the "continue". I have never seen this before and did not trust the information in the hands of BOOM. I have had issues with the company in the past. The end result was that I did not make the purchase and I did not return to the BOOM website.

Is this something new that PP is introducing? I have never come across it before and I was not notified of this change. In my mind, it brings into question the whole security of PP and why I use it. If I wanted BOOM to have my credit card information I would have simply paid with my card on the BOOM site.

I find it incredibly annoying that there is no real way to ever directly contact PP. While their "help" pages are useful they do not cover every situation. It is amazing that this company continues to operate without a real customer service component. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_AshleyM

Hey Sandravw,

Great question - when this checkbox appears, it usually means that merchant requires a billing agreement to purchase with them. The box you mentioned is actually PayPal remembering that you want to use that specific card or bank with the merchant you're purchasing from. This doesn't mean we give them the information, but that if you make additional charges with them in the future, we know to charge the same card. The financial information is never provided to the merchant, simply marked in PayPal's system as your preferred way to pay with them. I hope this helps explain the situation! Have a great rest of your day.

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.