Receiving money

JoeCool2017
Contributor
Contributor

Someone sent me money and PayPal kept something like 3%. Is it normal and why? I am from Canada.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JoeCool2017

Sellers always pay the fees as they are the merchant using that option to accept payments.

Its against paypal rules for you to ask the buyer to pay the fee UNLESS that surcharge is clearly stated upfront in your auction.

BUT if you are using Ebay you are not allowed to surcharge.

Also personally as a buyer if a seller tried to make me pay their fee then I would shop elsewhere.  Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JoeCool2017

Yes its normal, paypal is not a charity and have to make money to pay their staffs wages.

So you pay them for the service they provide.

2.9% + $0.30 CAD per transaction

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JoeCool2017
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I understand that, but I would have thought that the 2,9% would be paid by the person who sends the money not by the one receiving it.

Thanks anyway.

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JoeCool2017

Sellers always pay the fees as they are the merchant using that option to accept payments.

Its against paypal rules for you to ask the buyer to pay the fee UNLESS that surcharge is clearly stated upfront in your auction.

BUT if you are using Ebay you are not allowed to surcharge.

Also personally as a buyer if a seller tried to make me pay their fee then I would shop elsewhere.  Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.