Notifications for items I did not buy

Moot
Contributor
Contributor

I received a notification for an item I did not purchase. This is not showing up in my account.  Can I assume this is a scam, and, since I can't seem to talk to a real person, how do I deal with this?  Change my password, dispute the purchase, ignore it?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Moot
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, thanks for being so specific.  This is the first time I have had any problems with PayPal, and your points were spot on.(pardon the pun )  This has made my day and I can feel better and safer with this knowledge.  It's frustrating not being able to talk to a real person when all the message talking points don't fit your situation.  Again, thanks!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Moot

Firstly how did that email address you? If it was not by your full name then it would be a spoof.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email to ''cancel'' the transaction then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too
Solved

Moot
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, thanks for being so specific.  This is the first time I have had any problems with PayPal, and your points were spot on.(pardon the pun )  This has made my day and I can feel better and safer with this knowledge.  It's frustrating not being able to talk to a real person when all the message talking points don't fit your situation.  Again, thanks!

Login to Me Too

Pepper48
New Community Member
Thank you for this information! I was sure this was a scam email when they asked for my SIN and all CC info - but I needed confirmation. I appreciate this since I cannot talk to anyone and as Moot said this is frustrating and my question does not fit in the generic questions on the site.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.