New rules about confirming account? What is this?

uacelite
Contributor
Contributor

When I logged into my account on Thursday last week, I noticed that my account was being limited. I tried following the instructions to further confirm my account and remove that limit. After submitting accurate and valid verification of information, the confirmation step was marked as Failed. There was no explanation whatsoever why this is so. Then, another step appeared:

You must submit an attestation from a commissioner of oaths or a guarantor attesting that they have seen your original, non-expired birth certificate, passport, provincial health card*, or driver's license. A guarantor must be a Canadian citizen and can be: a dentist, medical doctor, chiropractor, judge, magistrate, lawyer, notary (in Quebec), notary public, optometrist, pharmacist, professional accountant, professional engineer, or veterinarian. The attestation must be submitted on a legible copy of your identity document and must include:

The name, profession, and address of the attestor (commissioner of oaths or guarantor).
The signature of the attestor.
The type and number of your identity document.

* We can't accept health insurance cards for Ontario, Manitoba, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick.

This is frustrating because I verified that all of the details in the confirmation are accurate and valid. Then when I call Paypal customer service, they say that they don't know why it was marked as Failed, they don't have access to that information, I will likely not be told the reason, so all I can do to solve this issue is oblige with that next step. This is a nuissance because I'm now having to pay a fee for a document in order to "confirm my account". I don't see why I should when I was falsely flagged. They also said that others are facing the same issue as well, and these are due to recent Canadian laws. No matter how much I press for information, they keep reinstating that they don't know and that I should just complete the next step.

I don't have a personal/family doctor as I rarely even go for hospital visits, nor a personal anything else listed; furthermore, nobody around me provides an attestation without a charge (it apparently should be free). Next is the attestation form itself. Paypal isn't providing the form to fill out, so I figure I need to create one or use a publicly available template for the guarantor to fill out... only problem is that all the guarantors I've spoke to will only sign such a form if provided by the group seeking the attestation (Paypal in this case).

I've now emailed Paypal twice, since last Thursday and have not yet received a follow-up. Compounded with the the things I explained above, I'm being sent in circles. I'm not going to accept that I "failed" a verification step without being given any reason, also when knowing all of the information I input is accurate, and then go out of my way to pay for a signed document because of this cryptic fail message.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.