How to transfer from CAD to USD within my Paypal account?

Angnak
New Community Member

As a Canadian user, when I log in to Paypal, my account shows two balances:

1. A USD balance, of payments made to me by others when I sell things online.

2. A CAD balance, which is where money ends up when I add funds from my (CAD) bank account to Paypal.

Problem is, of course, that when I buy things online, it's in USD...and there doesn't seem to be any way to transfer between these two balances.  I don't recall there being an option to convert my original transfer-in from the bank to USD from CAD at the time (?) and I now don't see any way to get a conversion and transfer between them, to put my current CAD amount where I need it, in the USD line.

I could just do the purchases and donations my CAD balance was added to cover, and let Paypal pull the necessary funds in through the credit card/bank account arrangement used when I make a payment without having enough in my USD balance to cover it...but in that case, what do I do about the CAD balance?

Pull it back out?

Arrange for a USD account at my bank, from which to add funds?

Missing something?

Missing all sorts of things?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

SkyForce6
Contributor
Contributor

Use the currency converter to transfer funds between balances:

https://www.paypal.com/ca/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_profile-currencies

But keep in mind that there will be a currency conversion fee so you will lose some money in the conversion from one balance to another.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.